IDE->SATA Boot Clone

OK, so I'm trying to go from my 80 WD IDE drive to a WD 250 GIG SATA drive. I use the Acronis Migrate Easy Trial to clone the drive over and resize the partitions. That part works fine. I set the Serial ATA drive to be the boot drive and remove the old WD drive. The computer boots up ok, gets passed the windows loading splash screen ok, then sits right before the login prompt in XP Media Center. Basically I see the Windows XP logo and the blue gradient background. I can move the mouse around and periodically I see HD activity. But that's it.

I made sure the SATA drivers were installed before I cloned the drive over. Any thoughts or suggestions?

try booting into safe mode if you can then goto start, run, type in msconfig, and on the first tab check bootlog. rebo tthe computer and restart normally. then when it hangs power dwn the machine and reboot into safe mode again and check the bootlog.
C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt is hte boot log

Can't even get into Safe mode it hangs at the same screen. I tried booting up in ERD Commander 2003 and I dont see anything in the event log.

I guess I'm just going to have to start fresh with everything, unless someone has another idea.

Download 'Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS', install it on floppy or CD and use it to clone the new drive from the old drive. Say yes to rsize partitions prompt.

It works for me.

It's also a good idea to download and prepare a diagnostics floppy or CD to check for bad sectors.

Hope this helps!

gud4u said:
Download 'Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS', install it on floppy or CD and use it to clone the new drive from the old drive. Say yes to rsize partitions prompt.

It works for me.

It's also a good idea to download and prepare a diagnostics floppy or CD to check for bad sectors.

Hope this helps!

Any idea where I can get a CD version of that? WD site doesn't have it. I tried the Ultimate Boot CD which claims to have it, but it doesn't load off of it. :( What a friggin hassle this has been.

Just wanted to mention I finally solved the issue. I had to use the Arconis True Image instead of Migrate Easy and it worked like a charm.

When I read about this a while back, I had a similiar problem.
I had a raptor 74g. With an IDE HD for storage. Unfortunately one day when I was going to change out my HD (The IDE one). My Os could no longer be found.
In fact I would get a DISK ERROR ... error come up.
I looked into it a little bit. And what I found was that HDs have to have options, I think it has to be set so that the Harddrive actually recognizes it as a boot drive. Yes, obviously it is set as a boot drive in the bios.
As of now I still have my raptor back in its original box and getting ready for a return.

I hate the fact I can no longer use the raptor.
funny enough, I tried this a while back. and well.. another SATA drive went down, the problem I see is that the Harddrives are no longer recognized as the drive to boot off of, even if the bios has set it as the boot drive. I have the IDE drive connected as slave (cable select).

What would SATA 2 do in something like this?

What options should I look for in any partition tools?

Back