IDE PCI Controller, SATA on Mobo

cmosdos

2[H]4U
My custom built died and I really didn't have time to wait for parts or fix it (don't know what's not working in it yet). I went out and bought an HP 1640n. It doesn't have IDE on the mobo, only SATA. Running a 250gb on that.

I put a CMD-648 PCI Controller in to hook up my hard drives to get the data off. I have over 12 gb of photos from a recent wedding shoot and I need to get these to the bride ASAP. I don't think there is anything wrong with the drives. The controller was not in the computer that died. It was used on the previous computer 3 years ago and I just kept it.

With nothing hooked up to the controller, the PC boots fine. It shows the controller BIOS, nothing is found, moves on. If I have a hard drive hooked up it will hang on scanning. I've tried 3 different hard drives (one wasn't even in the original computer that died... i pulled it out of a working computer). So I think I've ruled out HD failure. Jumpers are set correctly.

Could the SATA on the mobo be confusing the controller? Windows recognizes the controller fine in device manager. I'd prefer not to buy another controller card but I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any ideas?

The real problem is that the Controller BIOS is outdated so it can't detect the newer HDD.
It detects a TEAC CD-ROM (made in 1999)!
I overpassed the detection putting the HDD jumper in a WRONG place (Slave for HDD Master)!!!
That way the Controller doesn't find anything and moves on!
Win XP recognizes the controller fine in Device Manager.

Last edited:
holy thread revival batman!

I went out and bought a new one for ~ 30 bucks. well, that was sometime back in december 2006. i've got several 500gb sata2 drives running the show now and all the ide's sitting around for mobile usb back up. you can find all the drivers and manual online. good luck.

Back