IDE or SATA

philman14

n00b
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4
which one is better? faster? cheaper? pros/cons? i'm upgrading my system, and i hadn't even heard of SATA before last week, and i need to buy some hard drives and i've got 2 SATA ports on my MOBO. any help would be appreciated.

mobo: Abit NF8-V
cpu: AMD 64 3000+
 
That board supports SATA raid, but I don't know that it supports any of SATA's extended features such as NCQ. It doesn't advertise it, so I'm guessing it doesn't. That being said the only benefits of SATA over PATA are easier cabling and increased external transfer rate. The external transfer rate of the PATA drives exceeds the internal rate anyway, so I doubt you'll see a difference. Personally, I'd get what ever is cheaper per GB. One thing to consider though is if you plan on building again in the future and transfering the HDD you might want to look at SATA as PATA is in decline and may not be on your next board in a few years.
 
SATA. The cabling is much simpler, the price per GB isn't much of a hit, and it's more futureproof.
 
Back
Top