Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to ask this question, so please move it if its not.
I'm building a c2d system with a 965P-DS3 mobo and a single seagate 80gb sata2 hdd. Other hdd's to be added at a later date, but no raid is planned. Reading the mobo manual, it tells me to prepare a floppy with the sata drivers to be installed when loading the os. This must be done if the drive will be configured for raid or AHCI, but not for IDE if I'm reading it right. So my question is whats the difference between IDE and AHCI and is one better than the other. Also if its ok to configure for IDE do I still have to have a floppy with the drivers ready or can i just skip this step and proceed with the os installation? Thanks.
I'm building a c2d system with a 965P-DS3 mobo and a single seagate 80gb sata2 hdd. Other hdd's to be added at a later date, but no raid is planned. Reading the mobo manual, it tells me to prepare a floppy with the sata drivers to be installed when loading the os. This must be done if the drive will be configured for raid or AHCI, but not for IDE if I'm reading it right. So my question is whats the difference between IDE and AHCI and is one better than the other. Also if its ok to configure for IDE do I still have to have a floppy with the drivers ready or can i just skip this step and proceed with the os installation? Thanks.