IDE Channel Question

8KCABrett

n00b
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
51
My IDE optical drives are in PIO mode on my Abit AB9 QuadGT plugged into the only IDE port their is, and I've noticed that the drives are in PIO mode and changing them to "DMA if possible" with no luck. I've heard that uninstalling the IDE channel they reside on may solve this when they are detected and re-installed, but I'm not certain if they are on the primary or the secondary as listed in device manager. I'm running a SATA HDD and would like to confirm what devices are connected to the Primary IDE channel, is there a way to do this? The Second IDE channel lists DMA not applicable. Is that the SATA drive?
 
SATA should only come up as SATA or Serial Device, not IDE. As far as the DMA/PIO thing, I can't help ya there.
 
You're on the right track, it's a known BIOS bug - optical drives attached to the JMicron controller on this board will currently only work in PIO mode with the controller set to IDE. Abit are working on a fix, but in the meantime you can enable RAID for the JMB363 in the BIOS, load the JMicron RAID drivers and then your optical drive should be able to operate in DMA mode. :)

It's still a nice mobo, or at least it will be when Abit finish it...
 
Back
Top