• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

ID3 tag software recommendation

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
220
Hey all! I'm looking for an ID3 tag software that could help me retag my collection. Here's what I'm looking for.

All my music is organized by artist (main folder) - album (sub folder) - songs. Is there something that can automatically grab the artist and album from the folders and tag accordingly? I thought I read that MP3Tag could but I can't figure out how. Any help?
 
I don't know about auto-tagging, but I use Tag&Rename. It can pull album information from Amazon.com and a few other databases to correctly tag all the ID3 fields along with adding the album cover art to the mp3's and the folder.jpg

I was able to tag my entire mp3 collection, ~550 artists w/ nearly 2,000 full albums, over 20,000 mp3's. They are also all named exactly how I like, "01 - Song Title.mp3" or "01 - Artist - Song Title.mp3" for Albums with multiple artists, like soundtracks.

Tag&Rename is at least worth taking a look at.
 
i used music brainz when i did mine
http://musicbrainz.org/

it was a little learning curve but worked good, i looked at programs probably 2-3 years ago though, and haven't looked since and used music brains. the post above looks like that is pretty promising.
 
Thanks for the replies guys. I gave MP3tag one more shot and i THINK it's doing what I want. I'll find out when its done updating my tags. Hopefully I didn't mess something up =/
 
Hopefully I didn't mess something up =/
just to be safe, when I tagged my entire mp3 collection, I copied the 155 GB of mp3's to another location before I started to serve as a backup, and it saved me a couple times where it had tagged incorrectly because of a stupid error on my part, and then renamed the files and they were in an order that i couldn't fix lol
 
Last edited:
Any suggestions for a program that can do a search and replace in ID3 tags?

Edit, nm I see mp3tag can do it.
 
This is pretty basic stuff. In Mp3tag, use the following string for Filename - Tag assuming your files use the 00 Title naming scheme:

Code:
%artist%\%album%\%track% %title%

With ID3v2.x, you'll want to strip the leading zero from the TRACK tag by using the auto-numbering wizard and including the total number of tracks in the X/Y format (check "Save total count of tracks").
 
I use MP3Tag to preprocess tracks, then I import them into iTunes which handles any later changes (typo corrections).
 
Back
Top