ID Software: PC gamers moving to console

If 200 is a big deal, what console did you go with?

I'm not a good example. I personally have the PS3, 360, Wii, and the PC in my sig. So I play across all markets. the consoles are for racing games and RPG's mostly. Maybe fighters or other 4 player games depending. Also for single titles. The Wii is mostly for the family friendly games. (different argument that is completely console centric.)

I enjoy my setup I have.. But not everyone can afford to have all three and a computer. Some have to choose just one. Actually quite a large number of poeple need to choose just one.

I'm not a good example. I personally have the PS3, 360, Wii, and the PC in my sig. So I play across all markets. the consoles are for racing games and RPG's mostly. Maybe fighters or other 4 player games depending. Also for single titles. The Wii is mostly for the family friendly games. (different argument that is completely console centric.)

I enjoy my setup I have.. But not everyone can afford to have all three and a computer. Some have to choose just one. Actually quite a large number of poeple need to choose just one.

I agree with that, since I bought the PS3 I have for Rock Band only because it isn't available for PC. I have considered getting a Wii just for the fun games.

But if a person or a family had to choose one, how many are there that would choose a console over a PC?

Well that depends... how may families want to hear there kids complain because so and so has such and such game and they can't get any version and yadda yadda yadda...

Well that depends... how may families want to hear there kids complain because so and so has such and such game and they can't get any version and yadda yadda yadda...

Easy soloution to this is to tell the kid No, a phrase to many kids don't really know the meaning of anymore....
OR
'If you can earn the money for it you can buy it'

The second option then becomes a good source of cheap labor. ;)

And hence the purchase of a console!

I'm not saying that the console is better. But for gaming it is the best entry point.

I'm not saying that the console is better. But for gaming it is the best entry point.

I would agree with this save the one caveat of what kind of gaming is enjoyed. Consoles are good for something and not for others, same for PC’s… Heh after 9 pages I all but forgot what this whole discussion was about; (seems that the tangent has successfully derailed the original discussion,) or simply taken it to a deep, dark place from where there is no return…. ;)

Yup, this thread has just gone crazy.
What it really comes down to is that id and Epic are smelling the $$$ that can be made via consoles and are making the jump as a result. PC gaming is a niche (a niche focused on games with minimal hardware requirements) right now, so the big FPS developers are looking elsewhere to fill their coffers.

And what kind of warranty is with that? remember with an xbox360 it's a 3 year warranty to replace the system. So how much is a 3-year full protection warranty for that pc?

the truth is, because the PC is unlikely to see great ports from the 360 or ps3, even a computer much faster than the one you pieced together won't be able to run it as well as the console did. That's why this whole piecing together a pc endeavour is ultimately pointless. You could piece together a system thats $100 and has the best hardware out, and it would still mean nothing to someone who wants to play gta4(this century).

Game catalogues are whats important. what platform has the games you want? and in the case of the PC, what platform has the games you want AND can run them adequately without a $2000 PC.

How likely is it that you will be needing that 360 warranty? From the looks of it pretty darn likely. I haven't had to RMA any computer or component ever.

If the game is ported over poorly enough such that it doesn't run well on the computer I listed it probably won't run well on the alleged $2000 PC. Poor game coding is hardly the PC's fault. In addition I can only think of a handful of games that were ports that I actually thought were worth my time anyway.

Absolutely. Its a great way to introduce people to gaming who have no knowledge whatsoever.

I'm a PC gamer and won't ever be moving to console. Though most of my free time revolves around gaming I may end up quiting all together if games keep getting more mainstream and dumbed down. The main reason I don't like console games is that they lack depth and aren't complex. Now that many games are being developed for consoles first with these limitations in place then ported to PC they don't do it for me anymore. These console ports just can't keep me interested. The exclusive PC games are fine and keep me entertained and interested the whole time... but when all our PC games turn into console ports with no depth I fear for the future of gaming....it's getting boring and bland.

NEVER!!! :eek: You will have to peel my mouse from my cold dead fingers!.

define depth. And show me a recent game that has it

What new PC exclusive games have depth today? Crysis? Well it has depth of field i suppose(heh heh). and mmorpgs, the PCs flagship games? I don't consider a huge list of gear as depth. nor do I consider grinding for hours on end to have any depth.

RTSs are the only PC games that have something I would call depth, since strategy can be very in-depth.

How likely is it that you will be needing that 360 warranty? From the looks of it pretty darn likely. I haven't had to RMA any computer or component ever.

And all that means is that you are either extremely lucky or you haven't bought many computer parts in your lifetime.

If the game is ported over poorly enough such that it doesn't run well on the computer I listed it probably won't run well on the alleged $2000 PC. Poor game coding is hardly the PC's fault. In addition I can only think of a handful of games that were ports that I actually thought were worth my time anyway.

You don't understand. poor game ports are a discredit to PC gaming in general. It's a sad fact which means the PC gaming catalogue is just not as strong as it could be. You're right it's not the PCs fault, BUT its one less reason to get a PC for gaming when you can't run the games you want to.

I've never really had too many issues with PC parts going bust.
I had one of the busted 7900 GT's, but in my 15 years of building PC's I've only had that item and an ABIT motherboard go south. However my old company used to have Gateway mobos fry themselves left and right.
It's somewhat luck of the draw and some of it is the OEM.

I will probably be flamed for this, but not all ported games are bad. For example I absolutely loved Splinter Cell. The problem in my eyes is that most console games are just plain mediocre, and then they still continue to be mediocre when they are ported. They are mediocre because as so many have already stated, all they want to do is sit on their couch with their controller. Pretty hard to make a stellar game when its obvious the target audience has no intent on following a plot line or using their noggin etc.

Its a downward spiral of people being happy with mediocre games and companies porting them over.

I will probably be flamed for this, but not all ported games are bad. For example I absolutely loved Splinter Cell. The problem in my eyes is that most console games are just plain mediocre, and then they still continue to be mediocre when they are ported. They are mediocre because as so many have already stated, all they want to do is sit on their couch with their controller. Pretty hard to make a stellar game when its obvious the target audience has no intent on following a plot line or using their noggin etc.

Its a downward spiral of people being happy with mediocre games and companies porting them over.

The latest splinter cell(double agent) was a terrible port for PC. I know because I bought it and there were bugs galore in the SP. mp was cool though. tragic because chaos theory was one of the best PC games of all time(in my book). Though it was equally playable on consoles as well. I'm probably not even going to get conviction for PC knowing that they will probably pull the same lousy port job again. Still going to get it on console though.

There are plenty of bad games on consoles, but remember, there are also plenty of bad games on PC. The key is to find the gems on every platform(if you can afford it).

The latest splinter cell(double agent) was a terrible port for PC. I know because I bought it and there were bugs galore in the SP. mp was cool though. tragic because chaos theory was one of the best PC games of all time(in my book). Though it was equally playable on consoles as well. I'm probably not even going to get conviction for PC knowing that they will probably pull the same lousy port job again. Still going to get it on console though.

There are plenty of bad games on consoles, but remember, there are also plenty of bad games on PC. The key is to find the gems on every platform(if you can afford it).

You're absolutely right. Although I never did purchase Double Agent, (I was referring to the original Splinter Cell) Chaos Theory was amazing as well. There are terrible games on all platforms, I just hate it when people blame "porting" instead of the original game sucking as well.

I'm a PC gamer and won't ever be moving to console. Though most of my free time revolves around gaming I may end up quiting all together if games keep getting more mainstream and dumbed down. The main reason I don't like console games is that they lack depth and aren't complex. Now that many games are being developed for consoles first with these limitations in place then ported to PC they don't do it for me anymore. These console ports just can't keep me interested. The exclusive PC games are fine and keep me entertained and interested the whole time... but when all our PC games turn into console ports with no depth I fear for the future of gaming....it's getting boring and bland.

I blame the console developers, they made consoles too much like PC's and made porting games, or making multiplatform development really easy, it's impossible for game developers to resist the ability to make their game for multiple platforms due to the possible increase of audience and therefore sales.

I think it will take a few more years of ported and multiplatform games doing badly on the PC side for developers to start realising that it's not really worth the additional effort.

I think id is just trying to diversify their install base and give everyone a chance to play. Through the 9 pages of this thread, I don't see anybody freaking out about them developing games for the Mac now. Nobody freaked out when they started porting games to Linux either. How dare id attempt to give everyone an equal gaming experience!

Back