I'd put Sonic 3 + Knuckles up there with any of the Mario games.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone with me? This is coming from a huge Mario fan, fyi.

Not really....and this coming from a Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast fanboy.:D

Sonic CD was better. Sonic 2 was excellent as well. None of the rest of the games in the series matched those two.

Sonic CD was better. Sonic 2 was excellent as well. None of the rest of the games in the series matched those two.

I agree with him. Sonic 3 was a great game but sonic cd was my favorite. I have it for the sega cd, windows, and in some sega collection somewhere.

I consider sonic cd above all of the mario games except mario64.

Not really....and this coming from a Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast fanboy.:D

i loved the dreamcast!!! i had this import bootleg tetris for it that was the best tetric by far i've every played!! it wasn't even in english. we figured out that you had to go to the left three time on the menu to get to the two player mode!! oh man those were the days....

http://dreamcast.ign.com/objects/015/015261.html

ign only gave it a 6.7? how lame...

I agree with him. Sonic 3 was a great game but sonic cd was my favorite. I have it for the sega cd, windows, and in some sega collection somewhere.

I consider sonic cd above all of the mario games except mario64.

It was indeed excellent. I wish I still had a copy of it somewhere. :mad:

Sonic 2 > *. Sonic CD was pretty damn good too though. I think I still have a copy of it for the PC somewhere around here.

Depends which Mario game, and whether or not you consider what they were when they were released or what they still are. Either way, I still say nothing has topped Mario 64. Mario Galaxy was close, but not quite IMO.

Sonic has aged pretty horribly... No save states, ugly graphics, no recognizable enemies. Super Mario Brothers on the other hand is still a wonderful play

Sonic CD is a classic, love all the stage music (the opening is a different matter). Sonic Adventure 1 is what made me buy a DC back in the day. Never really got into SA2 as I liked the free roam in SA1 between stages.

Sonic CD is a classic up there with Super Mario World, it just sucks it was released on a dead system.

first and second sonic were pretty damn good, but SMB 3 and up take the prize.

I liked the 3D Megaman game for 64...

When are we gonna get a Sonic game that doesn't suck? After Sonic Adventure 2 everything is just trash.

Sonic 3 was just as fun as 1 and 2. I loved the Sega Genesis sonic games

All of the other sonic games blew ass though

I hated Sonic 3 tbqh. I prefer Sonic 2 to any other Sonic game. The Sonic adventure games were fun, but they didn't really feel like Sonic games to me. I would've enjoyed them just as much if they were about some character I had never heard of, though the unlockable Sonic 1 map when you got after getting all 151 Sonic emblems in SA2 was a nostalgia blast that almost brought tears to my eyes.

Sonic has aged pretty horribly... No save states, ugly graphics, no recognizable enemies. Super Mario Brothers on the other hand is still a wonderful play

Agreed. I notice alot of the comments in here are talking about the Sonic games in past tense. "Sonic CD was pretty damn good", "Sonic 3 was a great game", "Sonic 2 was excellent" ...well have you tried playing them lately?

I used to be a huge Sonic fan back in the Genesis days, but after playing the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube I'm like ehhhh....

Agreed. I notice alot of the comments in here are talking about the Sonic games in past tense. "Sonic CD was pretty damn good", "Sonic 3 was a great game", "Sonic 2 was excellent" ...well have you tried playing them lately?

I used to be a huge Sonic fan back in the Genesis days, but after playing the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube I'm like ehhhh....

I still thoroughly enjoy playing Sonic 2. I have an emulator on it on every computer that I use frequently and the collection for PS2.

Sonic CD > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3

No hesitation. Was playing 1, 2 and 3 on my Dreamcast the other day with Megadrive emu, still top games. Need to look at getting a MegaCd emulator up and running now on the pc....unless there is an emulator on Dreamcast I'm not seeing......

The Sonic 2d games *are much better than the 2d Mario games and I say this from having played both series recently.

I still thoroughly enjoy playing Sonic 2. I have an emulator on it on every computer that I use frequently and the collection for PS2.

Yeah, Sonic 2 is the best of the bunch, but there's no way I'd put any of them above or even up there with Mario games...it just doesn't make any sense. I'm not knocking anybody who prefers Sonic...different strokes for different folks, but still....

I was playing sonic 2 on my xbox a few days ago. Still enjoy the game.

I agree they don't seem to have the same replay value as they use too. Same goes for the old school mario games(although I did replay through mario 64 a year ago).

Sonic doesn't really touch Mario. Once Mario went 3D, Sonic tried to follow and pretty much failed. Not to mention Sonic didn't really have the depth that Super Mario 2 and on had.

Sonic doesn't really touch Mario. Once Mario went 3D, Sonic tried to follow and pretty much failed. Not to mention Sonic didn't really have the depth that Super Mario 2 and on had.

Because its too fast. More often than not you end up humping a wall/scenery because the little blue bastard is just too twitchy in 3d. Sega should bring back the old skool 2d gameplay but in 3d graphics....kinda like Sonic Rivals in HD but more 1, 2 + 3 style levels.

There are parts in Sonic Unleashed like that and they are the best parts....would be perfect having the whole game like that.

I have to disagree here. First off I am a much bigger fan of Sonic 2. But mario games takes the cake here with all the awesome power-ups they have had over the years. The biggest beef I have is with the new super mario bros, why couldn't they of had more of the power-ups like Mario 3? But that's off topic...

back to Topic now. I enjoyed Sonic games a lot, but the lack of moves (run and jump [on all 3 buttons]) limited depth of game play a lot IMO.

You got to admit, games aside, Sonic as a character is a lot cooler than Mario.

Anamorphic super sonic Hedgehog with attitude>Fat plumber.

I really really liked Sonic Adventure. Sonic 1 was fun. Sonic 2 was even better because of tails. Sonic 3 was still good, too. But I haven't played any of the most recent ones because they got such bad reviews.

You got to admit, games aside, Sonic as a character is a lot cooler than Mario.

Anamorphic super sonic Hedgehog with attitude>Fat plumber.

Cooler appearance-wise, but ability-wise Sonic doesn't come close.

Mario may be a fat plumber, but he's a fat plumber who can perform all kinds of super high acrobatic jumps and spins, change size, become invincible, throw fireballs, transform into a raccoon, a frog, a hammer throwing turtle and much more. He also has a smokin hot princess girlfriend who rules a whole kingdom of mushroom people. Beat that!

Cooler appearance-wise, but ability-wise Sonic doesn't come close.

Mario may be a fat plumber, but he's a fat plumber who can perform all kinds of super high acrobatic jumps and spins, change size, become invincible, throw fireballs, transform into a raccoon, a frog, a hammer throwing turtle and much more. He also has a smokin hot princess girlfriend who rules a whole kingdom of mushroom people. Beat that!

kay.... lets not turn this into a mario vs sonic thread...

lol@you. It already turned into a mario vs sonic thread like 27 posts ago. I'm just playing around anyway...if you don't like it, move on...no need to quote my whole post.

I'm with the OP in that Sonic 3 + Knuckles for me is the zenith of the Sonic franchise. Being able to save your progress, playing through the fourteen different levels with different characters and being able to unlock Super Sonic and actually keep him when you turn the game off were all things I thought were awesome. I also liked the graphics and slightly less linear level designs, plus I loved the special stages. Much love for Sonic 3 + Knuckles here.

I like Sonic 2 and 3 equally. However, in level's, I put the Snowboard level of Sonic 3 just a smidgen above the Chemical Factory of Sonic 2.

In relation to Mario, I'd rather go back and play the Sonic games (minus Sonic 1) over any of the Mario games in that era.

I like Sonic 2 and 3 equally. However, in level's, I put the Snowboard level of Sonic 3 just a smidgen above the Chemical Factory of Sonic 2.

In relation to Mario, I'd rather go back and play the Sonic games (minus Sonic 1) over any of the Mario games in that era.

Yep that snow level in Sonic 3 and the chemical plant in Sonic 2 were such awesome levels. The music was excellent as well.

Back