I'd like to mod an ATX power supply, reduce height

C4PSL0CK

n00b
Size isn't really the problem but height is.

The capacitors aren't a big problem, I can get low-profile ones, but the thing in the black box enclosure with the inside wrapped around in tape, what is it?

Do I have to take any measurements to not get hurt (like I have to decharge capacitors)? What does it actually do? And how can I get it in a horizontal position? Any guide?

Thanks in advance.

It seems you're right. It is indeed a transformer. Now I only need to know what to do and how to do it. Hmm.

Honestly, it's not a good idea to mess around with the insides of a PSU unless you really know what you're doing. You'd be better off just getting a smaller PSU like a TFX or 1U unit.

Beware that heatsinks are sometimes connected to high voltage -- intentionally. I don't know what the minimum clearance should be between high voltage and the PSU box, but I think it's supposed to be at least 1/4" (that may be too little). Be sure to keep the metal box grounded.

That thing you're referring to is a high frequency transformer that operates at over 240 VAC on one side but at low voltage on the other side. It's an extremely important safety device because it isolates the high voltage from the low voltage.

It may be easiest to reduce the height of a PSU that has a large fan on top because its transformer and big heatsinks are already low profile.

I would not recommend attempting this if you need to ask. Those capacitors hold a lot of charge and should be properly discharged (slowly with the proper tools) before you even consider touching them. Failure to due so can result in death!

Honestly, it's not a good idea to mess around with the insides of a PSU unless you really know what you're doing.

Even if you understand the components this is not something I would do.

This type of operation will definitely void the warranty and for a person not understanding the components this has a high chance of ending in fire or burning out the power supply.

Even if you understand the components this is not something I would do.

This type of operation will definitely void the warranty and for a person not understanding the components this has a high chance of ending in fire or burning out the power supply.

Not to mention, after the fried computer, possible fire etc. the builder of such objects is often the subject of voiding their own lifetime warrantee.

Not a good idea in the grand scheme of things.

Back