ICH10R+2xG2 X-25M .. AHCI or IDE?

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
I've seen so many threads where people are being told to switch to AHCI from IDE, or to IDE from AHCI that I thought I'd just ask which is preferable in 'most circumstances'.

Which should I be using for a RAID 0 of two G2 X-25M's on a ICH10R?

Windows 7 will be going on the array, if that matters. (And I'm not to worry about partition alignment, right?)

With 2x SSDs, the ICH10R is more than sufficient. It tops out around 680mb/s.

As for AHCI vs IDE, typically the AHCI will operate a little faster whereas the IDE will operate more stable. I'd start with AHCI and swap to IDE if you run into problems. There are registry tweaks that you can do to switch from AHCI to IDE without reinstalling. It's rather easy to do.

Regarding partition alignment... W7 aligns it's partition to 1024kb which is a valid alignment in most RAID setups. You won't need to worry about it as long as the drives are without partitions and the partitions are created within the W7 installation setup.

Jason

Actually, if you are running RAID I beleive that implies AHCI. I haven't looked in a while, but aren't there three settings for the ICH10R - RAID, AHCI, and IDE? If not, for Windows 7, I'd definately go AHCI - it's what, 7 year old technology now - they've got the bugs worked out.

Back