Ice Giant ProSiphon - Cooling the 3900x

Mauler87

Weaksauce
So it appears the ProSiphon that kitguru reviewed is now available to buy with an estimated Q3 shipping date.

I managed to nab 2 of them with the $19.99 lock-in and $100 purchase each. Shipping to Australia was unfortunately $100 but that's what I get for living in super-sized alcatraz in the middle of the pacific.

I bought one for my 3900x and the other for my 8700k.

I am super keen for testing them and posting the temps and setup here, I have also updated my cases to the cooler master h500m (using NH-D15 in it on the 3900x) and the Phanteks p600s eclipse for the 8700k rig because of the nice offset for my 360mm AIO in push/pull.

As soon as I get the units I will do my testing in as many thermal tests as I can (no infrared imaging though). Hoping the thinned-down variant performs as well as the engineering sample although it will be a much smaller IHS so I have my fears.

Will update this post once I get more info regarding shipping.

Attachments

• bandicam 0541.jpg
    bandicam 0541.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
I signed up for their newsletter with the full intention of pre-ordering for $19.99 and using one on my 3900x that will be going into a server. I figured if I changed my mind, it would only cost me $20. It was supposed to release in July. Now, you have to pay full price up front, $120, to pre-order, and now it won't arrive until September. I think it's a bridge too far. Also, the retail price is going to be $170. They better work...especially since the test unit Linus tested is a totally different design than what is actually going to be produced.

To much weight and way to large imo. Overkill for anything threadripper or 3950x on the AMD side. Rather have the new 280 by artic cooler tested by GN and shows it beating some 360 aio's for 100$

To much weight and way to large imo. Overkill for anything threadripper or 3950x on the AMD side. Rather have the new 280 by artic cooler tested by GN and shows it beating some 360 aio's for 100$
Yeah the weight is slightly worrisome. I feel that it’ll create a lot of stress on the PCB which may be bad news for thinner layered PCBs. I’d feel more comfortable if the system would be laying horizontally such as in a server rack.

... but that's what I get for living in super-sized alcatraz in the middle of the pacific.

Not to be political but we are becoming a prison planet rapidly. I wished we had another massive continent like australia we, like minded, could move to and start Land of the Free 2.0 and watch everything else burn to the ground around us but theres no where left to go. Enjoy tech for now because its not autonomously trying to murder you but that WILL change as we become more and more archaic and barbarian in our human violence. The more we depend on tech the more uncivilized we are becoming. Problem with the internet is that poison and toxic idealogy can be spread just as fast as good and great ideaology. Its a double edged blade.

This cooler actually looks like it will work well but id be worried about levering down on the socket due to its mass? Does it come with a support hanger or sowlmething?

Back