wtburnette
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Jun 24, 2004
- Messages
- 3,580
I'm unfortunately running mismatched RAM at this time and it's keeping me from being able to OC very well. I currently have one 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 stick and one 512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 stick. I can OC my 3.2C to 3.5Ghz with this RAM, but it's not stable, no matter what I do. To test if it was the RAM or the CPU, I took out the PC3500 DIMM and just ran the PC3200. I was able to clock it to 225Mhz FSB (3.6Ghz) with complete stability (ran 3dmark and sandra with no problems, then ran prime95 overnight). Booted into Windows at 3.7Ghz, but then gave me a BSOD. I'm pretty sure the CPU could go higher, but the RAM is holding me back (definitely when the PC3500 is thrown into the mix).
My question is, what RAM should I buy? Let me clarify that I'm only looking at Corsair XMS memory. I've been around long enough to see many issues with OCZ RAM, even though everyone seems to recommend them now. What I'm looking at is either:
TWINX1024-4000PT for $293
TWINX 1024-4000 PRO for $321
TWINX1024-3200XLPRO for $338
Now, I'm guessing my rig will be able to run @ 225Mhz FSB with no problem. With that being said, which of the above memory would be the best? The PC3200XL is supposed to be the best, but there's no guarantee it'll OC to 225Mhz FSB and it's also the most expensive. The 4000 Pro is the most attractive to me right now as it's guaranteed for up to 250Mhz, so I can see if my rig will be able to hit even higher then 225Mhz FSB and if not know that it shouldn't be the RAM that's stopping me. I also like the look of this RAM. I was at a LAN party this weekend and the host had this RAM and it looked sweet in his case. Since I have a windowed side, it would probably look nicer in my case then standard RAM. Worth the extra $28 over the regular PC4000PT RAM (IMO). If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get the RAM to run 2.5, 3, 3, 8, which is what my PC3200 runs 225Mhz at. Does the PC4000 Pro sound like the best idea for me?
My question is, what RAM should I buy? Let me clarify that I'm only looking at Corsair XMS memory. I've been around long enough to see many issues with OCZ RAM, even though everyone seems to recommend them now. What I'm looking at is either:
TWINX1024-4000PT for $293
TWINX 1024-4000 PRO for $321
TWINX1024-3200XLPRO for $338
Now, I'm guessing my rig will be able to run @ 225Mhz FSB with no problem. With that being said, which of the above memory would be the best? The PC3200XL is supposed to be the best, but there's no guarantee it'll OC to 225Mhz FSB and it's also the most expensive. The 4000 Pro is the most attractive to me right now as it's guaranteed for up to 250Mhz, so I can see if my rig will be able to hit even higher then 225Mhz FSB and if not know that it shouldn't be the RAM that's stopping me. I also like the look of this RAM. I was at a LAN party this weekend and the host had this RAM and it looked sweet in his case. Since I have a windowed side, it would probably look nicer in my case then standard RAM. Worth the extra $28 over the regular PC4000PT RAM (IMO). If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get the RAM to run 2.5, 3, 3, 8, which is what my PC3200 runs 225Mhz at. Does the PC4000 Pro sound like the best idea for me?