IC7-G Overclock suggestions

jhtevans

Limp Gawd
Hey all you experienced overclockers out there - I'm wondering if all of you can't make some suggestions as far settings go for overclocking my rig -- specs are listed in the sig, but here they are in more detail:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C Northwood Retail
Abit IC7-G w/replaced Northbridge cooler (as seen on the IC7-MAX3) BIOS 24
Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200LLPT (2 sets of matched pairs) 4 x 256mb = 1 GB

I'd like to do some modest overclocking and I'd like to stick with my stock cooling ---
I've tried using Abit's game accelerator settings in the bios for the memory, but the system locks on Windows loadup if I select anything other than "auto" - also, I can manually set the RAM latencies ( 2-3-2-6) but shouldn't my corsair be able do better than that? Any lower than that and the computer doesn't even make it to post....

So, some suggested settings would be appreciated.... I've never messed with overclocking before, so if you could assume I don't know 'the little things', I would appreciate it ----

I will give you the info from my BIOS when I get home this evening.

I'd like the info too, got a similar config with 2.8c, and i'm getting ready to put watercooling in which means overclocking!

If I set the Game Accelerator stuff to anything other than auto, I also get crashes. I have Corsair PC3200 memory rated at 2-3-3-6. I can run it at 2-2-3-5. I think the low latency should run at 2-2-2-5(6), and that's what your sig says you have.

you really shouldnt be overclocking with a stock heatsink, i wouldnt go over 3.2 with intels hsf. set your fsb to 214, back off on your memory latencies for now, and incread the vdimm voltage to 2.7. if it works, then you got 3.2. if not, i would leave well enough alone and not tamper with it on the stock cooler. sorry i dont mean to sound like an asshole/

If your 3.0C is a SL6WU then youve got a read good clocker on your hands, get a Thermalright SP-94 and a good 92mm fan, then youll have 3.6ghz at least if you have good case airflow.

I will share what my settings are and you can take them for what its worth:

First step: Under Advanced Chipset Features: Set the Game Accelerator features to Auto. Set the memory timings to 3-8-4-4 (usually seen as 3-4-4-8 but I went in the order they are seen in this BIOS). This will give them the most amount of room and will remove the memory as the potential bottleneck.
Second Step: Back out and go into Soft Menu: Set CPU Operating Speed to User Defined. Go down to the DRAM Ration and set it to 1:1. Set the AGP Ratio to Fixed and set the Fixed AGP/PCI Frequency to 66/33Mhz. Set the CPU Power Supply to User Defnined and put the CPU Core Voltage to something like 1.550v or 1.5750v. I would set your memory voltage to 2.8v - but that is just me - you may feel more comfortable with 2.7v. Check with corsair about how much is OK for your sticks.

Now: The part that will have the biggest visible impact on how much you overclock your machine: On Ext. Clock (CPU / AGP / PCI) Set it to something and run with it. You have a processor that defaults to 200 on the CPU Bus. This means that, on a quad pumped architecture like the Intel that you are working with, you are running on an 800Mhz Front Side Bus (FSB). So - for every tick up you make to the CPU Bus you increase the speed of the machine by 15Mhz. This is simple math -- 3000 / 200 = 15. In this case the processor speed is a 3Ghz (or 3000 Mhz), the CPU Bus is 200 and the result is the multiplier of this particular CPU.

Mine is currently running at 229 for a resulting speed of 3.435Ghz. at 1.575v.

After you set your speed in the BIOS to something (try 210) you need to boot into Windows and run some stress test applications. I personally run one instance of Prime95 and loop 3DMark01 and let it sit for a few hours (overnight is preferred). If you receive no errors then up the CPU bus by 5 and run the tests again. When you find that you start to receive errors (can be anything from Prime95 crapping out to random explorer errors) you can try upping the voltage on the CPU a little bit.

Personal words of advice/caution: I never run an Intel CPU over 65C under full load. I have found that the program that generates the most heat is Seti@home (setiathome.berkeley.edu). Running 2 instances of the command line version seems to generate a ton of heat on my systems so I turn to that after I have found a stable sweet spot for my systems.

Now - say you are extremely stable at 225 but moving to 226 starts to see random errors. I would back it off a couple more Mhz and then turn your attention back to the memory. I use a program called MemTest86 (let it run and have at least 5 passing runs) to test memory settings on my machine without booting into Windows to find that there is a problem. Start to lower the numbers back down from 3-8-4-4 one at a time, performing a round robin. Most likely you will find yourself around 2.5-7-3-4 with the memory you have.

That is what I do when I start to overclock a machine. I am sure that there are other/better/faster ways to do it, but I feel comfortable doing it this way.

Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification about anything.

Good Luck!

Back