IC7-G and RAM Question ?

Palendrone

n00b
This is what ABIT States this mobo is: IC7-G Intel Socket478 Intel 875 series ICH5R 4 Dual DDR 4GB of DDR400/333/266

My question is if I get this soopa doopa PC4200 533mhz RAM from Geil USA will it work ? Thearetically it should but how does it work ? Also Geil USA states that anything 400mhz and over I have to play with my mobo FSB ratio ? How does this work and in effect I am overclocking my whole PC arnt I ? I will hopefully get my head aroudn this sometime in the near future ! :0S

Thanks

The ram should work fine.. When they say the RAM is running at 400mhz they really mean FSB of 200mhz.. As you raise the FSB you might need to change the FSB ratio to a different divider... like 5:4 or 3:2.. 1:1 you might be able to raise the FSB a little. I couldn't getting any overclock until I set the FSB ratio to 5:4.. with that divider I got my 2.4C to run at 3.0 totally stable. I haven't tried to run it faster yet.

Are you thinking of overclocking your system at all? If you are then using that RAM will be a good idea.. With a 4200 rating you will have plenty of headroom. If you aren't going to overclock then you can use PC2700 or PC3200 with no problems.

Also Abit saying 4GB isn't totally correct actually it only takes 3.5 GB they explain it a bit on the ABIT message board.

But not many people at all are going to use 4 or 3.5 GIGS of RAM.

so to get the RAM to run correctly I will have to Overclock my PC ?

sorry for not understanding 100% !

My Bad ....

Thanks Also BTW :0)

I had that ram in my IC7-G ..and it ran great at 1:1 ratio ..it would do other ratios ..but nothing over what it could do at 1:1

if you cant get a good overclock out of your chip (at very least 270ish or so on fsb) ..then the ram would be a waste as it doesnt do tight timings at all (under cas2.5)

Back