• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

iBook with PC100 Ram?

DrNic2032

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
125
I have an old iBook at work (700 or 800MHz, I can't remember). It's a clunker but nice for our interns to mess around on. The machine currently has a 128MB PC133 stick. We have a 256MB PC100 stick tat I just dug up and I wasn't sure if it would work in the iBook. Documentation says that the model supports both PC100 and PC133, but I'm worried about losing what little overall speed the machine has if the FSB is forced to use 100MHz rather than 133MHz.

Any thoughts?
 
Stick it in and try it out. Can't hurt.

Installing RAM in those iBooks is pretty easy, just lift up the keyboard.
 
Depending on your OS, you'll see more performance going from 128MB to 256/384 than you'd lose by dropping from PC100 to PC133, if the iBook even runs the memory at 133MHz.
 
Well as it turns out one of the interns had to stay late, and in order to kill some time ended up putting in the ram this evening. From the email I got the machine runs fine and the system profiler says that's it's running at PC133 even though the sticker rated it at PC100. Good stuff.

Now upgrading the hard drive is likely to be a bit harder given the placement. Oy!
 
Yeah, replacing the hard disk on the old white iBooks is a royal bite in the ass. I've replaced the one in my 12" iBook G3 three times, and it never gets any easier. You're basically disassembling it down to the frame to get at the HD & CD. A #00 Philips screwdriver and a spudger are definitely your friends with these units. :p

-Brian
 
Back
Top