iBook G4 Tiger Performance

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking at selling my macbook pro and trading an ipod touch for a ibook g4 12", the laptop has 640MB of ram, I want to know is this laptop going to be painfully slow running Tiger? Just for basic web email and IM, it should be fine right? I'm not familiar with the PowerPC macs at all, but 12" sounds cool, anything I need to look out for? I know I'm getting the short end of the deal but I need a replacement laptop and a mac would be nice, im trading a 16gb ipod touch.

It's two different transactions, I'm selling the 15" base pro (paid $1790) for $1300 (maybe)
Then I'm trading a touch that I got for $200 for an old laptop to replace the mbp.

Tiger should run fine on the ibook. I am running it nicely on my ibook g3 with 640MB ram

Soccermatt said he has tiger running on a g3 with same amount of ram, "nicely". I think his opinion will stay the same.

I'd trade my iPod touch for an iBook G4, but not an iBook G3.

Not that there is a huge speed difference, but the G4 models are so much more solid than the G3s.

Soccermatt said he has tiger running on a g3 with same amount of ram, "nicely". I think his opinion will stay the same.

Absolutely. I'm running 10.4.11 on a G3 700Mhz with 640 MB RAM without any issue. I didn't try installing it prior to the RAM upgrade (from 128MB) but I wouldn't recommend that.

Back