• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IBM VS. Dell

Pratorian

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
113
From everything I've heard, IBM is, hands down, the best quality laptop manufacturer. However, dells are pretty appealing too. I have a friend at IBM who is giving me access to his employee purchase program, meaning I get a t43 for $1400. In the other field, I've configured a dell 9300 for $1400 after the 40% off coupon.

This will be for college/general use. I will do some gaming on it, but nothing really intense.

The coupon expires soon enough (only 4000 uses) so I need to decide pretty quickly.

specs:

IBM t43: ($2,249.00 retail price) Includes a three year warrentee, which is pretty cool
Code:
Description	Part no	Unit price*	Quantity	Price*
ThinkPad T43 266876U
    CustomizeCustomize
	 266876U 	  $1,399.00 	1 	  $1,399.00
  Processor: Intel Pentium M Processor 760 (2GHz 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB ) (Standard) 	  	  	
  Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Standard) 	 
  Display type: 14.1 inch SXGA+ (1400x1050) TFT Display (Standard) 	
  Memory: ThinkPad 512MB PC2-4200 CL4 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM (Standard) 	  
  Hard drive: 80GB 5400rpm EIDE ATA (Standard) 	  	
  Optical device: ThinkPad 24X/24X/24X/8X Max CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo V Ultrabay Slim Drive (Standard) 	  	  	 
  Integrated communication: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet and 56K V.92 designed modem (Standard) 	  	  	
  Integrated wireless: Bluetooth Wireless (Standard) 	  	  	 
  Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Standard) 	  	  
Accessories and options:
Additional services: Asset Tag 	 58P8654 	$9.60 	1 	$9.60
Benefits of IBM
Solid machine, lots of nice security features, magnesium alloy case, speedy proc, 3 year warrentee.

Dell
Code:
 SYSTEM COMPONENTS
  	
	Inspiron 9300 	Qty  	  	1 	
	Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 	Unit Price 	  	$2,458.00
	Dell Home Customers
LIMITED TIME OFFER! 	  		  	  Remove Coupon
	  	  	- $983.20
Catalog Number: 	 29
 Module 	 Description 	Show Details
Inspiron 9300 	Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System 	Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Display 	17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 	256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm
Video Card 	256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
Hard Drive 	60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Network Card 	Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software 	Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD/DVD Drives 	8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability
Wireless Networking Card 	Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software 	No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software 	New! Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition 15-months
Digital Music 	Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Primary Battery 	9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 	1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

Benefits of dell: 19" screen, 7200 rpm drive, killer graphics card.
But I will have to buy a special bag for it, which blows.



It really comes down to this: Is IBM worth it?

thanks

edit: When I see an enourmous thread dedicated to the 9300, I really start to wonder
 
yes. it is worth it.
dont forget to account for tax in your pricing though.
 
My X41 Tablet is on backorder forever, but they say "Once you go black, you never go back" :D
 
i vote a resounding YES... i've owned countless laptops and none feel quite as well built as my t42... and guess what, it's a Lenovo, so i don't want to read anyone bashing it saying "lenovo sux" or any crap like that. It's just a name. The laptops are made in the same factories, using the same parts, and the exact same design. I owned a t40 through work about a year back (when it was a true ibm) and the laptop litterally feels and looks identical. the casing doesn't feel as cheep as most of the extremely plasticy laptops i've used from dell and gateway and such..


the support is second to none. i've only had to call twice (once to get recovery cds shipped, and the other cause i dropped the laptop on my driveway from about 3 feet and it cracked the mechanism that latches the cd drive) and both issues were resovled by extremely knowledgable (and understandable) americans.

go for the ibm... you'll love it...
 
yes i mean IBM.

i dont mean to knock the "quality" of the 9300..but its just so god damned HUGE

the 14" T series is a nice medium size, but still arguable better quality than ANY dell machine.

i have an IBM X40 myself, definatly not a gamer, but built to last :p
 
IBM all the way... their support is incredible, the machine is solid and is most definity will give you a better experience than dell
 
Get the IBM (Lenovo). You will not regret it and you will have a machine that will last you a very long time. I just got my t40 back from from an lcd repair, three days!! They do not mess around! They cost more, but when you get it you will know why.

A262
 
having owned/used on a regular basis:
600E
i1300
T22
x30
X31
T41P
T41
T42P

I'll definitely throw my hat into IBM's ring.

I'm on an Acer now(why couldn't the T43 have had an x600 or x700???), which I'd put just below IBM as far as quality goes (the hinges aren't quite as good, no thinklight, no trackpoint)...but way above the Insiprons.

I'm not sure the rest of Acer's line is the same way though...but just about anything would be better than the 1100 my dad's on.


As far as your 9300 goes...I was looking into it before I bought my Acer. I could have easily configured a "better" laptop specs wise than my Ferrari has, but in the end...it's a 17" 8.5 lb monster....and personally, I'm a bigger fan of the 14" form factor T4x series. It's light weight, small enough to be portable but large enough to be a pleasure to use.
 
IBM!

Not to mention the IBM has a faster processor, and twice the memory. I am 100% in love with my IBM laptop, and if I ever buy another, it'll be IBM all the way.

BUT! You also need to look at what you're going to be using it for. Game a lot? That video card may help. And I'm sure the 19" screen would be nice for games. But you'd have to upgrade the RAM. Calculate that in too.

Personally, I'd go with the IBM. Faster processor, more memory, more hard drive space, and a tough-as-nails design make it a winner in my book.
 
I have never owed an IBM so I cannot say anythigng about it. Based on everyone's feedback and reviews, it is really great.

However, I am not sure if it is worth the price difference. If money is of no concern then go with ibm. But, to get the most bang for your buck, I would go dell.
 
Marduk said:
I'm on an Acer now(why couldn't the T43 have had an x600 or x700???), which I'd put just below IBM as far as quality goes (the hinges aren't quite as good, no thinklight, no trackpoint)...but way above the Insipirons

Actually, IBM offers the ATI Firegl V3200 on the t43p, which is basically a workstation class X600.
 
Looking at your 2 choices, the Dell is a better option assuming you want to use the Video Card, the go6800 will kick the IBMs ass. But if gaming was your primary goal you wouldn't be asking this question, so go for the IBM.
 
Yup all depends on what the machine is for. Its you need a DTR for gamming no question, but snice you threw in the IBM I assume its for a regular notebook use. I can't vouch for IBM as I have never used them, but I would look around. In my opinon, I don't think IBM is worth the cash, not your best bang for your buck. But on the other hand if you have the money go for, what can you loose, its IBM
 
If your a gamer, go with the Dell.
For anything else, the IBM all the way. I am still using my T40p, its solid as hell, and so far can handle everything that I have thrown at it (except for gaming), like 3D and DCC apps. Currently its driving my 2405FPW at 1920x1200 or whatever. It's a solid machine, with no nonesense gimicks like glowing blue buttons, etc. Even the thinkvantage software is usefull, ie the little lights and things like access connect, and display manager - I actually use those apps everyday. Unlike the stuff you get with other brands, which you uninstall as soon as you get your fingers on the system.
And yes, I do have a Dell laptop and have used others as well.
 
Marduk said:
(why couldn't the T43 have had an x600 or x700

Worst case... motherboard is PCI-E, buy a X600 and drop it in. Definitely worth it when you take into account performance, ergonomics and reliability.
 
i think they left out the x600 or 700 due to heat concerns, etc. cost too...

and i think the gpu is soldered onto the mobo in thin laptops like the T series.
 
IBM > All.

im still on my T23, im waiting for a Yonah based T-series to upgrade. Its still chuggin!

however, my buddy just got a T42. W-O-W. that thing is awesome. its about half the size (height wise) of my T23, and just as solid. is lighter, and gets better battery life. awesome machine. another thing you have to consider wtih that 9300 is that its gonna get shit battery life.
 
I have a 9300, but I went over to www.ibm.com and looked at the T-series so I could find out what the hell everyone was talking about :p. As far as the 9300 goes, I love mine. It's a desktop replacement for me, and it is an unbelievable gaming machine. I re-installed XP, tweaked all my drivers, undervolted the CPU, and overclocked the video card, and it games just as good as my desktop, if not better with the 2GB of RAM (from newegg). I'm a big guy (6'3" 180lbs), so the 9300 is perfect in size for me. 8.5lbs? Hell thats a little more than a gallon of milk, dont be a sissy :p. I'm j/k, you need to decide what you're going to do with your laptop. Seems the IBM is a much better "laptop," so to speak. Although it has slower hardware, it's lighter and has a much longer batter life. Decide what you want to do with your laptop and that will point you at the right one, I know it did for me :cool:
 
wow

you really have no idea what you want in a laptop do you?

You are asking us to compare a 14" to 17" widescreen and your concern is IBM vs Dell?

All I can say is wow.

My advice: Get whatever is cheapest (maybe one of those $500 specials (tpad R50e was $599 last week), use it for six months, figure out what you want/need in a laptop, then ebay it and invest in something decent......

Any of you IBM f@nbo1s know when the widescreen (z series?) or X700 or better Tpads are coming out? How about the thinkpad with a windows key? Getting addicted to onenote and live the window-key S screen captures (and all my other windows key shortcuts). Would love to get a TPAD for my wife if they offered a modern computer.....
 
trikster. you can bind the right all key as a windows key.

the z series is being announced later this year.
 
IBM wins. Battery life, portability, build quality win out for general laptop use (since you say you're not going to be gaming hardcore on this machine.) The 9300 is nice if you want a desktop replacement, certainly, but if you want something more mobile and viable to use as a laptop, the Thinkpad is your best bet.
 
IBM's T42 is the bomb. I have completed Quake3 Arena at normal difficulty level, without a mouse, just Trackpoint. :cool:
Q3A runs perfect at 1400x1050 with 2xTAA and 8xAF.
 
IBM. You'll have better battery life, better portability, and better warranty (talking to Dell is very frustrating. I was lied to last time.).

I wanted a t42 when I was shopping for laptops but couldn't afford it :(.
 
I have never owned a dell lappy, but have used one on a few occasions.

I have an IBM R32 myself, it was shit till i finally got the thing to work. It was a ram issue.

I would go with the IBM once i figured out my problem its been rock solid since then.

Keys are better, thinkpad light is very helpful, looks, overall build quaility. i have even stepped on my laptop a few times, and its been fine.


-MTXR
 
Back
Top