• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IBM T42p and games

jodathmorr

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
74
Reallllllly quick. The IBM T42p has a 128MB FireGL card made by ATI. I've been looking for some information on how well many games run under this card. I'm not interested in running something like Doom3 at a high quality setting, but I would like to be able to play UT2004, Counter-strike, Warcraft III, and other such recient but not as graphically intensive games. Anyone have any ideas or a website I could look towards? Aparently it gets a 3dMark score of 9700 so it can't be that bad. Can anyone help?
 
I'm not really sure but unless your doing 3d design the FireGL wont be of that much of good to you. Maybe you should check out the ones that have the 9600 but I am know pro on this stuff so dont take it to the bank.
 
and the 9600 models are cheaper I think so unless your using some serious 3d apps I'd say its not worth the money.
 
Spiff1333 said:
and the 9600 models are cheaper I think so unless your using some serious 3d apps I'd say its not worth the money.

But IBM doesn't make a 9600 model, IIRC.
 
and it'd more OpenGL friendly than the fireGLs...

I can't get Quake 3 to work on it; and I haven't tried Doom3 yet
 
the only diff between a mobility 9600 128
and the firegl card in the t42p is a bios flash of the gpu
no hardware differences at all

try installing the omega drivers
if that fails
there are several ways to flash the gpu back into a 9600
which will definetly let you run the omega drivers
 
I run Omega drivers....I would like to find a softmod from firegl to just regular 9600.

I'm not going to flash a card though....I've got 3 years of warranty I don't want to endanger.
 
sorta, Asian.


I had the T41. Didn't need to have 2 high end laptops, especially with the T42P just sititng there.

So, I sold it to put money towards an engagement ring.

I was gonna get the Presario w/ some extra money I had (wouldn't touch the T41 money) so I could have a low end system to do shit from school on(this is what the T41 was doing).

The guy that was suposed to sell me the Presario didn't respond....no communication since Tuesday(despite PMs, IMs, etc.)..so I won't be getting the Presario. He's been online, he's had plenty of opportunties to talk to either myself or my friend that bought a gateway off of him just 2 weeks prior.


I ended up deciding to sell my copies of Office 2003 SBE retail and Windows Server 2003, and sold a spare copy of XP Home that I had(as well as getting paid for working on a dude's computer)...so that gave me an extra $500.

so, I will take 700-ish out of the $2000 I sold the T41 for...and am going to get an X40 in a week or 2.

still leaves me $1300 towards a ring...and seeing as how Linda said she didn't want an expensive one...I think I'll still be ok. (That, and I have a few months to save up anyway).

Ah hell, it's a story longer and more complex than is what's posted above...but that'll give you some sort of idea.



and IO, anytihng you see with 64mb video is a 9600. anything with 128 is a FireGL T2. anything with 32 is either a 7500 or a 9000.
 
Back
Top