IBM Predicts Five Big Tech Innovations by 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
I kinda thought IBM's predictions for the five best tech innovations by 2015 are a bit on the weak side. Cool, yes. The best? I'm not too sure about that.

We already know that tablets are going to take a bite out of PC sales and robots will take over social networks, but what else is happening in the next five years? Well, IBM has a few guesses. The company recently unveiled its annual “Next Five in Five,” showcasing five innovations it thinks will hit the tech market in the next five years. This year’s list is filled with better batteries, 3D holograms, computer heat energy, better GPS, and citizen scientists.

baah already lost a massive bet on 10TB harddrives being out by this year. Goddamn 3TB's can blow me.

citizen scientist? You mean walking product survey right?

Citizen scientists: Finally, in five years, IBM believes that sensors in smartphones, cars, computers, and social networks will help scientists get a real-time picture of where and how you live. In other words, ordinary people will be able to donate their personal data to help scientific research.

Thats probably the only think i dont like. IBM has no business knowning how i live my life wether its a donation or not

Weak. How about telling us about some stuff in the IBM R&D center? The hologram is the only thing that doesn't have its predecessor out unless you count pocket projectors.

Here's a novel idea, how about our personal lives stay just that. Scientist don't need to know my habits.

I want to see Tech innovations that creates jobs, not replaces them. Everything has become so automotive. I'd love to see research and development start looking to improve and advance in technology at the same time not eliminating the need for a workforce to perform any given task. I try to avoid the use self checkout at grocery and chain stores cause I know that is just one less job that someone could have had. Yes its nice and convenient, but what about that under-educated mother of 3 who desperately needs that job? Time for technology to advance us and not make us more lazy by doing our work for us.

I want to see Tech innovations that creates jobs, not replaces them. Everything has become so automotive. I'd love to see research and development start looking to improve and advance in technology at the same time not eliminating the need for a workforce to perform any given task. I try to avoid the use self checkout at grocery and chain stores cause I know that is just one less job that someone could have had. Yes its nice and convenient, but what about that under-educated mother of 3 who desperately needs that job? Time for technology to advance us and not make us more lazy by doing our work for us.

Maybe your looking at it from the wrong angle. Maybe we are getting closer to a society where the small jobs don't need people anymore. And people will no longer HAVE to do the small stuff. We will only need people to do the more advanced or esoteric jobs. And if no one has to worry about the small day to day stuff, we can be free to do the jobs we want, not the jobs we need just for the sake of money. Many people already do productive things outside the workplace, we just call them hobbies at the moment. Imagine if you could do your hobby as your living because stuff like food, housing, transportation, energy & communications were all handled without human intervention.

Maybe your looking at it from the wrong angle. Maybe we are getting closer to a society where the small jobs don't need people anymore. And people will no longer HAVE to do the small stuff. We will only need people to do the more advanced or esoteric jobs. And if no one has to worry about the small day to day stuff, we can be free to do the jobs we want, not the jobs we need just for the sake of money. Many people already do productive things outside the workplace, we just call them hobbies at the moment. Imagine if you could do your hobby as your living because stuff like food, housing, transportation, energy & communications were all handled without human intervention.
We have small jobs because we have people who aren't willing to be edumicated.

:rolleyes:

Who do you think will think of these innovations?
Technology just shifts jobs from the mundane to the ones that require a bit more brain power. I would hardly call that a net loss.

:rolleyes:

Who do you think will think of these innovations?
Technology just shifts jobs from the mundane to the ones that require a bit more brain power. I would hardly call that a net loss.

It is a net loss when the number of jobs requiring brain power are outnumbered by the people losing jobs to automation and consolidation

Considering IBM is one of the leader of the industry and given the future industry climate, I'd say that list is spot on. I alway giggle when people expect revelations to occur in an industry that is filled with evolutions. I will second someone's comment in this thread about IBM's R&D department. From what I know it's pretty Godly.

I think IBM is being too optimistic. I'd be more inclined to believe it if the roadmap were stretched out to 2020.

Where are the Hoverboards on the list?

Back to the Future II promised we would have these. I want mine.

westrock2000 ... Thinking like that is straight off the star ship enterprise and their holodeck rooms. Some people are highly skilled. Some people aren't. Others work really really hard to make it look like they are highly skilled but they really aren't. Not everyone is capable of knowledge. Some pick up on things very easily, some consider it common sence, but there are many who are lost and fall further behind the more advance our technologies, science, and societies become. We need to be sure there are always jobs and careers suitible for those who aren't desitned for greatness or even mediocraty, but are just trying to survive. Walk a mile in those shoes and you'll quickly learn how left out "they" (*less fortunate, uneducated, neglected, poor, etc) feel in this modernized world. Maybe one day everyone will be paid for their hobby and free time enjoyment, and on an even keel with everyone else, but we are a long LONG way from that... and getting further and further the more technoloy continues to seperate those who have and those who have not.

No edit button? (I really need to learn to proof-read/spellcheck before hitting submit..)

^ We will eventually make ourselves obsolete at doing work, which is a catch 22. We strive to make life more manageable and simple with technology, but at the same time that work can overshadow even our greatest works.

How is everyone going to buy a robot in the future if nobody is working? :)

It won't be because of automation that people won't be able to buy the new cool shit. It will be because the rich elite degenerate sub-human filth will have finally stripped away the last of this nations wealth and no one will have a F'ing job, let alone disposable income.

With our crumbling infrastructure, all but dead "education" system churning out morons who can't even think for themselves and the masses of stupid ass suckers who buy into trash propaganda like Fox news and those goddamn fundie retards, we're boned.

But...there is a bright side! For when the end comes for America and places like Intel pull up and move to more fertile fields where the rich who stole everything will be living, they will be able to enjoy those new bad ass technological advancements without having to worry about the dirty poor-people unwashed peons taking up precious space in line to get them.

What about energy conversion? Why isn't there good R&D on it? The kinetic energy from my typing on my keyboard should be able to partially recharge a laptop that I'm using (electric energy). Kind of like how regenerative braking works for hybrid cars to improve fuel consumption. Take this concept even further. The thermal energy from my touching a phone, such as its touch screen, should partially recharge its battery. Heck, the kinetic motion of the phone rocking around while I walk should charge the phone as well. These would be very practical features to improve battery life.

Back