IBM PC Division is officially exiting the PC making business

Quoted from the IBM press Release.

What does this mean for IBM customers?
First and foremost, no surprises.

IBM has built its reputation on supporting its customers, and that will not change. In products, in support, in financing, or in quality.

IBM ThinkPad and IBM ThinkCentre™ brand product lines will continue. They will still be serviced by IBM’s world-class service and support organization, as well as technology roll-out and help-desk services. Warranty Services that Business Partners perform on behalf of IBM PC’s will continue -- business as usual.

Current IBM PC customers will keep their client sales teams and IBM Business partner relationships. IBM PC products will still be supported by IBM Global Financing.

IBM itself will not only continue to offer a full range of IBM-branded products to its enterprise and small and medium business clients, but also offer award-winning products from Lenovo.

In short, your current IBM PC ownership experience shouldn’t change.

Into the future, the goal is to build on that experience. To combine the best of IBM and the best of Lenovo into an even higher standard.

fvck!!!!!!!!

what am I gonna recommend to people for laptop except IBM? :mad:

Indeed, if nothing changes that is a good thing! I guess they're not really selling it off, but they're partnering with the leader in the biggest up and coming market. Makes sense I guess... as long as quality isn't sacrificed.

DaWhim said:
fvck!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see Panasonic continue to build the 1"ish thick laptops but start making them more up to date technologically.

DaWhim said:
fvck!!!!!!!!

Ummmm IBM
Its still keeping the name
Lenovo is just the owner and manufacturer which is no big deal IBM has not manufactured the ThinkPad for years anyway.

A little more imformative

New company (82% chinese, 18%ibm) will own the thinkpad trademark, so technicaly they can slap the thinkpad name on anything they feel like. Even there existing laptops.

They are getting in the deal 10,000 IBM employees. So you may be serviced by the same people (esp sales) but they won't be "beemers"

The end result:
"As part of the transaction, Lenovo and IBM will enter a broad-based, strategic alliance in which IBM will be the preferred services and customer financing provider to Lenovo.

Lenovo will be the preferred supplier of PCs to IBM, enabling IBM to offer a full range of personal computing solutions to its enterprise and small and medium business clients. "

So IBM will sell Lenovo hardware (some with the thinkpad name, but maybe not thinkpad guts) and Lenovov will outsource finance and support to IBM.

Longterm how is this different from IBM outsourcing manufacture of it's laptops to china?

I would guess that difference is that now the design, qc, and new product innovation will all be based in china vs. at IBM. IBM will be relegated to picking and choosing among Lennononv products to offer under it's IBM brand name. Regarding support, to me it feels like when Dell outsourced my support contract. I brought a dell but now I'm supposed to get support from this other company that does not make the P.C.? I wonder how good IBM support will be,when it is not "there" product..... Also it says IBM is the preffered support, not mandated, there is no reason Lennonv can't slap the think pad name on a Goldstar/legend laptop and outsource the support to india, once they own the rights.....

You can tell IBM's global finance makes them money...They Finance DELL Laptops for Farmer's Insurance for Pete's sake they'd be crazy not to get out of the financing business.

But damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to work on their POS desktops anymore.

Back