IBM Now More Valuable Than Microsoft

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It took IBM 15 years, but what comes around, goes around. Microsoft lost out to IBM by a small percentage in overall market capital, but passing MS is what really matters at the IBM Corporate Headquarters. When the numbers get up that high, it’s all for the bragging rights. Microsoft now sits at #3, behind Apple and IBM.

According to Geekosystem, Microsoft's stock has fallen 58 percent since the beginning of the 2000s, while IBM's stock has increased in value by 57 percent.

I could live to be 500 years old and I won't understand economics.

Microsoft has been reporting record profits for I believe like 3 or 4 quarters now. Yet every day after they announce their new record profits...their stock tanks.

I just don't.

IBM is mostly focused to servers nowadays correct? It's been years since I see an IBM desktop/workstation.

Yes, IBM has it's hands in many other industries now aside from desktops.

I could live to be 500 years old and I won't understand economics.

Microsoft has been reporting record profits for I believe like 3 or 4 quarters now. Yet every day after they announce their new record profits...their stock tanks.

I just don't.
Its like ranking on dancing with the stars, its all opinion.

IBM is one of world's largest R&D conglomerates. They are involved in everything from software to nanotechnology. I believe they hold more patents that any other company in the U.S. I'm sure IBM's value will only increase as time goes on.

Apple is grossly over valued
I don't believe that. Their products are, but not the company. When you get people to drink your koolaid, they'll do anything for you. Apple just capitalizes on all of their loyal fanbase.

Why do people take a stab at Apple so much? The dude had a idea and turned it into billions. He didnt get there sitting on his arse. So give credit where credit is due.

Im not an Apple lover but what they and Steve Jobs did was quite the most amazing turn in the tech or any industry I've ever read about. Taking a company near bankruptcy to the 2nd most valued company in the world in around a decade is an unheard of achievement. And i agree with the above, credit is due to Steve Jobs, considering he's done it more than once.

I worked for IBM for a brief while. I had a serial number, literally. They did everything they could to send jobs overseas, so I hate to see them doing well as I know it means more and more companies outsourcing american jobs to IBM which in turn sends countless jobs overseas.

well, their big and small business of so called POS systems has paid off, i mean honestly where ever i go it's IBM pos system. i hardly see any PC/laptops build by them, i've got about 3 university in my city and in last 4 year i've only seen only one IBM laptop compare to dell, HP, acer and apple. honestly am i the only one using IBM laptops?

IBM is mostly focused to servers nowadays correct? It's been years since I see an IBM desktop/workstation.

No. They are focused on R&D and IT outsourcing / support. Nearly 85% of IBM's annual revenue comes from that industry.

It does. However IBM isn't really in the hardware business outside of semi-conductor manufacturing, servers and again, R&D. They've completely abandoned the desktop and portable computing markets.

Apple is grossly over valued

That it is.

IBM is one of world's largest R&D conglomerates. They are involved in everything from software to nanotechnology. I believe they hold more patents that any other company in the U.S. I'm sure IBM's value will only increase as time goes on.

Correct.

I don't believe that. Their products are, but not the company. When you get people to drink your koolaid, they'll do anything for you. Apple just capitalizes on all of their loyal fanbase.

This is true to a degree, but I still think they are over valued. I don't think their influence is as strong as many people think it is. Well beyond the hippie douche bag crowd anyway.

well, their big and small business of so called POS systems has paid off, i mean honestly where ever i go it's IBM pos system. i hardly see any PC/laptops build by them, i've got about 3 university in my city and in last 4 year i've only seen only one IBM laptop compare to dell, HP, acer and apple. honestly am i the only one using IBM laptops?

IBM doesn't build / design or market desktops or notebooks. You can get IBM Thinkpad branded laptops, but those are still completely designed and built by Lenovo and have been for over a decade. IBM pulled out of the consumer desktop market in either 2000 or 2001.

And IBM laptops are overrated. The T40 and T60s are pieces of shit. I'm sure other models are as well.

This is true to a degree, but I still think they are over valued. I don't think their influence is as strong as many people think it is. Well beyond the hippie douche bag crowd anyway.

Ah, then you don't know how big the Hippie Douchebag crowd is ;)

LOL dude...true, true...well stated...it does kinda bogle the mind tho that MS has what 90% of the OS market and oodles of other stuff and Apple still tops them???

In other news, I'm more giving a shit then before.

Without the Windows OS, Microsoft wouldn't be that profitable.

Im not an Apple lover but what they and Steve Jobs did was quite the most amazing turn in the tech or any industry I've ever read about. Taking a company near bankruptcy to the 2nd most valued company in the world in around a decade is an unheard of achievement. And i agree with the above, credit is due to Steve Jobs, considering he's done it more than once.

And all it took was the iPod, that is what is even more ridiculous.

Ah, then you don't know how big the Hippie Douchebag crowd is ;)

The US market is rather unique, in that there really isn't much in the way of choice. It seems success is dictated by whoever has the more agressive marketing team. Everywhere else where phones are normally sold on more even terms. With no specialty store, nor over the top ads, where there are dozens of phone stores in each mall, each having everything displayed and compared side by side.

pic07rb.jpg

(It's an old pic, the store i took that from has since expanded.)

Apple products are practically non-existent (Apple can spin the X-million-units-sold-in-asia all they want, but that's just a drop in the bucket). But then again, anything outside the US doesn't count.

Apparently, the population density in the US is so low, malls are impractical. Everything they know is dictated by what's on TV and internet ads. The americans i've talked to in the other forums even hate the idea of driving to the mall and just do everything via mail order. With such an isolated demographic, it's no surprise advertisement there works so well.

Apple fucking prints money.....

They make more profit margin on each unit sold then anyone else. In fact they dwarf the competition in this area, this is why they are so valuble.

They changed the tech industry, took it mainstream and marketed the hell out of it. Delivery sharp looking products with great supprt and customer service behind it (say what you want but I have always had a great experience in the apple store).

The people who hate on Apple can't grasp the fact that the "geek" market place is almost nothing. Apple targeted the much larger "general" consumer base.

Obviously.

But those are consumer products.

I don't think you get it...

Take Hynix semiconductor http://www.hynix.com/gl/index.jsp . Hynix is not into building consumer products but sells its chips to various companies to build their consumer products. For example, Sony could use Hynix chips with their DVD players.

It's the same thing about IBM. IBM doesn't CREATE consumer products but rather sells its technologies to various companies (Such as Microsoft and IBM). Therefore, IBM is not responsible for the product.

IMO its stupid to compare apple to MS these days. MS is all about the computer/server market while apple is about iDevices. How many people do you know that have bought a mac in the last 5 years? Out of the 3 ppl I know that did... one is a die hard apple fan but still runs w7 on his macbook. The other two cry to me all the time about how nothing they want works on macs.

if/when someone trumps the iPhone apple will fall.

I don't think you get it...

Take Hynix semiconductor http://www.hynix.com/gl/index.jsp . Hynix is not into building consumer products but sells its chips to various companies to build their consumer products. For example, Sony could use Hynix chips with their DVD players.

It's the same thing about IBM. IBM doesn't CREATE consumer products but rather sells its technologies to various companies (Such as Microsoft and IBM). Therefore, IBM is not responsible for the product.
No, I get what you're saying.

You people don't get that if they're selling products to other people for consumer products, they're in the consumer product realm.

Because Ballmer is total and utter toolbag. Microsoft used to be a Software Company. Now it's just a Company that happens to make software.

It used to be run by an engineer.
Now it's run by another in the long line of useless business people who have zero clue about what their company does or how to make it work for them.

It used to be rare to have meetings.
Now calendars are full of meetings.
It used to be bottom up engineering.
Now it's top down.

And just like middle aged people, it's got a spare tire of useless middle management who do nothing but get in the way.

It was done creating a brand, and mountains spent on advertising. He does know how to sell, and I respect that even though I think he may be the biggest douche on the planet.

Oh and MS can do the same thing they did with the xbox if they put the money behind their products like they did. Its unreal how big the xbox is, and I realize it more every day. Yes I have been living in a basement with my PC for years.

Back