IBM M1015 help needed.

bastage

Pics of your wife?
Long story short.. Just installed WHS 2011 on my server. All HDD are conencted to an IBM M1015. Everything went fine durring the install which I did with only 1 drive connected (some have data so I wanted to be sure not to overwrite something needed).

Well now when I conenct the other drives the cards bootup does recognize the drives in JBOD, but it then it fails to boot. I believe that it is trying to boot from another drive. How do I specify what drive it should be using. The drive I am trying to use is on channel 1 device 0.

I have the boot drive specified int he computers BIOS, but on the cards I jsut get a prompts of either "$" or "BOOT" if I hit either Ctrl + y or Ctrl + h

Edit.. And it seems to of gotten worse.. I dont know what I did, but now if any drives are powered on and conected to the controller I get

No default or UI configuration directive Found!
boot:

I have a SAS 6/iR which is also LSI-based and I had a similar sort of problem. On the SAS 6/iR I disabled all RAID capability in the card's firmware, thereby making sure it wouldn't try to boot from the card. Might be worth trying something similar. :)

I had the same issue. I had to set the bios on the M1015 so it was not bootable. I forget the setting but it had to do with only being available to the OS and not to the bios. Worked like a charm.

But he is trying to boot from the card, so that complicates things. Why not put that drive on the mobo ?

Two things come to mind.
You have to set the boot drive in web bios
vds.png

And tell the pc bios to boot the add in card first (which is probably already set since you installed there first)

Back