• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IBM E7K1000 or WD Black?

5aboy

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 17, 2005
Messages
92
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a couple of 1tb hdds, and i have my sights set on these to raid 0.

not many reviews of the e7k1000, but many more of the wd black.


which is better?!
 
IBM no longer produces their own drives, having sold that off years ago, following the IBM Deskstar drive failures (nicknamed "DeathStar" due to the failure rates). In the desktop space, the drives are Hitachis (SATA or IDE). In the enterprise space, they're Seagates (SATA, FC, or SAS).

In the desktop space, I'd go WD. In the enterprise space, you don't get a choice, and 1TB SATA drives are $600/ea after the 40% discount (which means they are normally $1k/list for a 1TB SATA drive...no, I'm not joking).
 
you sure? I thought that hitachi made their own HDDs, including the enterprise ones.
 
Either way, IBM no longer makes drives and you are probably mistaking the Hitachi DeskStar 1TB for one.
 
I call them ibm - i had loads of ibms, i am talking about the hitachi, yes.
 
http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&numDrives=1&devID_0=368&devID_1=369&devCnt=2

The two drives suggested are of the same areal density, although Hitachi has more sectors per track, which explains the higher sustained transfer performance on the Hitachi. The Hitachi's firmware handles game access patterns better, productivity patterns favor the WD. The Hitachi has significantly lower idle power consumption and slightly higher active power consumption.

You can't go wrong with either drive. I would favor the Hitachi for the lower idle power consumption/heat dissipation.
 
Back
Top