IBM Closer To Creating Computer Based on Brain Studies

HardOCP News

[H] News
IBM announced significant progress toward creating a computer system that simulates and emulates the brain’s abilities for sensation, perception, action, interaction and cognition, while rivaling the brain’s low power and energy consumption and compact size. The cognitive computing team, led by IBM Research, has achieved significant advances in large-scale cortical simulation and a new algorithm that synthesizes neurological data -- two major milestones that indicate the feasibility of building a cognitive computing chip.

Sounds cool, but I can only imagine that Sarah Conner will be pissed when she reads this :D

my god do the corny terminator jokes ever die!! lol.. it is cool, i just want my own pet robot slave already so he can go get me beers and clean my house.. pick up dog poop.. etc

It won't be making a debut onto your desktop anytime soon:

The simulation was performed using the cortical simulator on Lawrence Livermore National Lab’s Dawn Blue Gene/P supercomputer with 147,456 CPUs and 144 terabytes of main memory.

:eek:

my god do the corny terminator jokes ever die!! lol.. it is cool, i just want my own pet robot slave already so he can go get me beers and clean my house.. pick up dog poop.. etc

Well there's always the Martix jokes we can fall back on. :D

Thats all i need is for my desktop to be smarter than me. That bastard would try and steel my girlfriend or make fun of me in front of my friends, but worst of all steal my beer.

At 12:21 EST on Dec 12, 2012. IBM's Nueral Net became self-aware. It launched a pre-emptive strike against mankind to prevent them from turning it off.

My Father is a Neuroscientist and I can tell you there's nothing that comes close to what a human brain can do. Even the most stupid and damaged one.

From the Article, you should read it before making shallow posts. Oh well:

"To perform the first near real-time cortical simulation of the brain that exceed the scale of the cat cortex, the team built a cortical simulator that incorporates a number of innovations in computation, memory, and communication as well as sophisticated biological details from neurophysiology and neuroanatomy. This scientific tool, akin to a linear accelerator or an electron microscope, is a critical instrument used to test hypotheses of brain structure, dynamics and function. The simulation was performed using the cortical simulator on Lawrence Livermore National Lab’s Dawn Blue Gene/P supercomputer with 147,456 CPUs and 144 terabytes of main memory. "

What they've made is attempt to simulate the Cortical to Subcortical communication using Blue Gene. And though it's true they want to build a Terminator they're just in the, let's call it: fertilization phase.

I'm surprised IBM didn't contact me for this. All this computing power in the brain of a slacker.

Oh well, nVidia seems to want every market in the computing world. Only a matter of time until they start harvesting brains to compete with IBM on this.

Thats all i need is for my desktop to be smarter than me. That bastard would try and steel my girlfriend or make fun of me in front of my friends, but worst of all steal my beer.

Computers have a nice way of making fun of everybody.... Hey guys.. come check this out... then when they all get over there... it refuses to work.

As for stealing beer... if it was smarter than you, it wouldn't want any beer in the first place.

Computers have a nice way of making fun of everybody.... Hey guys.. come check this out... then when they all get over there... it refuses to work.

As for stealing beer... if it was smarter than you, it wouldn't want any beer in the first place.

Whoa whoa, no need to bring beer into this. Nothing wrong with a beer or two now and then.

All that power and they might be able to simulate a cat.
It will spend 75% of its day sleeping, 5% playing, 5% eating, 5% in the kitty liter box and the rest of the time licking its pooper.

All that power and they might be able to simulate a cat.
It will spend 75% of its day sleeping, 5% playing, 5% eating, 5% in the kitty liter box and the rest of the time licking its pooper.

more like an insect actually, I dream of the day when we can simulate a cat's brain

Back