IBM As400

tunaman

2[H]4U
Does anybody know anything about these servers? I am about to purchase some software for my company that runs off an AS400 server.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-AS400-9406-...826501046QQcategoryZ64029QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found that on Ebay, but have absolutely no clue what I am looking at. Is a 2395 processor good? What is a 1523 Interactive feature? 16gig DASD? This is a few steps above what I am used to.

Here is what is going on. Setting up a parts tracking, ordering, and accounting system for my company. We have 5 locations. This software will provide inventory control and accounting for those locations and will process about 500 transactions a day. The software also serves up webpages in a front end sales system that integrates with the backend accounting and inventory control systems.

Any ideas on where I can get more info about these kinds of servers?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow ... haven't heard that name for a long time. Back to my college days. We did all of our RPG programming on an AS400 but i never really had a chance to find out much about the server itself. If searching for the server doesn'et net you much info trying searching for RPG programming sites. They should have lots of info.

As a admin for S/36/38 (precursor to the as/400) a while back I would check with the software vendor as to what they recommend. And what a tyical customer uses, also see if you could get customer references and maybe you could talk to a real world user,

Do you have any one on staff who has used an as/400 before? If not I would consider not buying used off ebay but used from IBM directly.

With these servers your not just talking about the cost of the hardware but the support costs from IBM. Which is well worth the price you pay.

Wow, that old eh. Supposedly this software is the absolute best at what it does, particularly in its interface between the frontend and the backend and multi-location handling. Go figure. Is an AS/400 sufficient to be loading up webpages and handling transactions at the same time?

Back