IB Intel FAN BOY Alarm! need help choosing IB cpu

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Which should I get?

i5-3570k or i7-3770k?

Things to consider.

1. For competitive Bench Marking.
2. For gaming.
3. Future proofing for Windows 8 and gaming. Windows 8 going to be able to use the 8 threads processing of i7-3770k?
4. Maximum over clock potential.

I'm on my way to the store to buy. Have about 1 hour to decide. Please help.

I have a great 2500k with Z68 and wasn't planning on buying but my Intel Fan Boy mind frame kicked in. :(

I am in the same boat. Almost drove to MC to pick it up, but still holding off my mind.. I know, there won't be a performance difference. All I know once I put all together I will forget about it and the Haswell is around the corner..

Maximum overclock will most likely go to the i5 3570k, due to lack of hyperthreading. Then again, you can always shut off hyperthreading on the i7 3770k.

Competitive benchmarking will of course go to the i7 3770k. Things that can use 8 threads will see ~20% boost compared to the i5 3570k at the same clock speeds.

Gaming, both will be the same, unless there's another BF3 fiasco where it tries to use the same cores (using up one core and its hyperthreading before moving on to the next core) instead of using each core first. Even then, it was quickly rectified, and games that will can use more cores will benefit the i7.

Windows 7 can already use 8 cores, and up to 16 and more. The amount of cores that can be used is application dependent, not OS dependent.

If cost doesn't factor into the equation, the i7 3770k is always better. But you have to ask yourself is that 20% boost in limited scenarios worth a 40% increase in cost?

Went with i5-3570k. More cpu for the money and I saved 80 bucks on Asus z77 mb combo at MC. Probably buy a 3770k when price goes down.

Went with i5-3570k. More cpu for the money and I saved 80 bucks on Asus z77 mb combo at MC. Probably buy a 3770k when price goes down.

If you're actually serious about upgrading to a 3770, It would have been cheaper for you to just buy a 3770 now versus a 3570 then a 3770 later. Unless the price of the 3770 drops to below $80 which isn't going to happen, you'll end up spending more money.

If you're actually serious about upgrading to a 3770, It would have been cheaper for you to just buy a 3770 now versus a 3570 then a 3770 later. Unless the price of the 3770 drops to below $80 which isn't going to happen, you'll end up spending more money.

I think you didn't understand my last post.

MicroCenter has the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 on sale for $30 off the regular price and with the i5-3570k there is an additional $50 instantly off. The extra $50 off does not work when buying an I7-3770k.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0386887

Also I'll add that I was able to sell the ASUS Z77MB for a nice little profit to further help lower the costs of my i5-3570k. :cool: Now I will sell my 2500k on ebay to make another profit and I will end up making a nice little profit by upgrading to 3570k from 2500k! Would not have been able to do this if I would have bought 3770k. :D

Read above what Tsumi posted about the 20% performance increase in some applications for about 40% more costs. The numbers just don't add up to me. I'd rather get a better value and pay money for actual performance. With i7-3770k I'd only be losing money in the long run and I'd lose about $100 up front with the price difference that I paid for on the CPU alone. Add another $50 loss on the extra money for the MB and I ended up saving $150 in real money right up front.

I'm sure there will be hot deals on IB later on down the road. My next upgrade for my MB will be i7-3770k when MC has it on sale for around $229.99.

If I don't care for performance of i5-3570k I might just end up selling it on ebay soon for another profit. I'm lucky I have Micro Center to shop at and I should be able to get most of my orignal costs back by selling on ebay soon.

Bottom line I got a killer deal with 3570k and I now get to play with IB cpu. :)

Last edited:
I did understand your post, but I'm pretty sure you didn't understand mine... Congrats on the new build.

I did understand your post, but I'm pretty sure you didn't understand mine... Congrats on the new build.

I did understand you but I disagreed. It is going to be cheaper for me to upgrade to 3770k later on if I choose to because of all the reasons I mentioned in my last post.

When the 3770k comes down to $230, pretty sure haswell will be out by then.

Yup, I've seen people who skimp on the initial purchase, only to upgrade later and after everything is said and done they've spent as much or more money than they would have if they had just bought it up front instead of incrementing up to it. They think they are saving money, but they are not only spending more money, but also getting less performance.

Yup, I've seen people who skimp on the initial purchase, only to upgrade later and after everything is said and done they've spent as much or more money than they would have if they had just bought it up front instead of incrementing up to it. They think they are saving money, but they are not only spending more money, but also getting less performance.

Things work a bit differently when you have a microcenter nearby, and they run specials on CPUs.

The 3770k will never drop down to $230 retail. However, it is almost a given that Microcenter will run some sort of special that does drop it down to $230, or maybe less, and that they would run a motherboard combo discount as well. You're often able to sell your older CPU for the same price you bought it at, and get the newer one at near the same price you sell the old one.

Case in point would be the recent 2600k deal. $200 at MC, while the 2500k normally sells for $180 with a $50 discount with a motherboard. 2500k can be sold online, used, for around $190. So that's a 2500k system now, with a $10 upgrade to the 2600k later.

Last edited:
I would buy a 2700k over a 3770k or 3570k.

Specially with the 2600k and 2700k getting a price reduction.

Back