IB 4K support?

Zangmonkey

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
5,878
I remember that the IB HD4000 was capable of 4k output but that Intel hadn't enabled the feature yet.

A bunch of articles pointed to it being enabled in October-2012

However, I can't seem to find anybody who has reviewed or actually used this function. Does anybody know whether it actually happened and whether it actually works?
 
I think we need 4k monitors before we can actually test it out.

From google shopping, the only 4k monitors I can find for sale is a $16k 84" TV and a $32k 30" monitor, which is on pre-order until the 15th.
 
I think we need 4k monitors before we can actually test it out.

From google shopping, the only 4k monitors I can find for sale is a $16k 84" TV and a $32k 30" monitor, which is on pre-order until the 15th.

Yeah, but just because the *average* person doesn't have it doesn't mean some news site or reviewer didn't say something.

After all, look at all the sites who have done LN2 OCs
 
Yeah, but just because the *average* person doesn't have it doesn't mean some news site or reviewer didn't say something.

After all, look at all the sites who have done LN2 OCs

LN2 is a little cheaper and easier to get then those TV's. ;)
 
Then I'm pretty sure our google searches will turn up with the same results ;)
 
not sure, cant test it either since I dont really want to push the cash down for a 4K device.
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD

I dont think the term asshole applies, but dumbass would be better suited. :D

Maybe they might need a few Titans to play some games on it?
 
I dont think the term asshole applies, but dumbass would be better suited. :D

Maybe they might need a few Titans to play some games on it?

In my household, in certain contexts, the terms are used interchangeably. :p

I agree that you'd probably need a Titan-SLI setup to play today's games at 4K with high settings. (You could probably enable MSAA in some games, as the cards have 6GB of VRAM)
 
With 4k resolution, I'm not exactly sure why you need AA :p
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD

It's usually the other way around. I have seen people post here that they don't want to spend more than $200 on a monitor for their $2000 PC.
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD


LOL I'm the same one that thinks this way about those who buy the Intel Extreme $1,000 CPU's, or drop a grand on a dual high-end GPU or single card dual gpu card. Honestly, I just don't see ever being able to justify such even if I made six figures a year and in all my nerdiness, but thank god other individuals see otherwise because they drive technology and cheaper prices ;).
 
I dont see why IB wouldnt be able to support it. Most 4k video feeds will be GPU dependent anyways right?
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD

The issue is one of stability. Last I checked only the AMD 7900 series could push 4k and that's with added heat, sound and potential driver issues.
 
And Intel's GPU drivers are going to be much better than AMD's?
 
The issue is one of stability. Last I checked only the AMD 7900 series could push 4k and that's with added heat, sound and potential driver issues.
BSN tested the GTX680 and HD7970 on an EIZO 4k display here: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/6/18/the-4k-graphics-card-shootout.aspx

I think the HD 7900 series is mentioned more often due to multiple outputs that some 4k displays (pre DP 1.2/HDMI 1.4a) require. There are several other nvidia and amd cards with DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4a outputs capable of driving 4k displays using those interfaces.
 
BSN tested the GTX680 and HD7970 on an EIZO 4k display here: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/6/18/the-4k-graphics-card-shootout.aspx

I think the HD 7900 series is mentioned more often due to multiple outputs that some 4k displays (pre DP 1.2/HDMI 1.4a) require. There are several other nvidia and amd cards with DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4a outputs capable of driving 4k displays using those interfaces.

Right, I've seen that article.
The nVidia offering presently doesn't provide a clean 4k experience. It's clumsy to setup and the desktop experience of "joining" displays may obstruct certain applications.
As of that article, and through now as far as I know, the 7950 and 7970 are the only 4k options.

Thanks for the link, though!
 
And Intel's GPU drivers are going to be much better than AMD's?

I have more faith in Intel than in AMD, nonetheless I would prefer to see a review/test of somebody else's experience to aid in troubleshooting my own.
 
Historically AMD's iGPU drivers have been significantly better than Intel's iGPU drivers. I would say your faith is misplaced on that front.
 
Who cares? What kind of an asshole spends $15,000 on a 4K display, but can't afford a $400 GPU to drive it? xD

Thats about what a 480p 42" Plasma would have cost in 1996 or so. By 2000 Plasma's were just breaking the $10K price...and still weren't 1080p, but could warm a room and burn in the screen within a couple hours.

Here we are 13 years laters and damn things are $500.

Give it time.
 
But by then Ivy Bridge won't matter. It will be like asking if a Core 2 Duo era machine can handle 10-bit encoded video without assistance today. Even if it can you may not want to due to power or processor usage.
 
Back
Top