• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IB- 10 physical cores!?

Xeon E5, meaning doesn't overclock and will be hella expensive.
 
Mid range chips.......

Right..... I would guess Intel will want no less than $800 for that 2600v2 chip.
 
If they needed new sockets they'd change the model number instead of tacking on a V2.
 
These will work with existing 2011 sockets, but with a bios update.

I anxiously await their release. :)
 
i7 k series IB-E will not likely be more than octo core chips, however, I could very likely eat my own words.
 
If you have a spare kidney, I'm sure Intel has an exchange program.

Eh, it'll be $499 for the version below the Extreme edition at Microcenter, be a good replacement for the 3930k.

i7 k series IB-E will not likely be more than octo core chips, however, I could very likely eat my own words.

Rather have an 8 core that overclocks over a 10 core that's 2 times the price and doesn't.
 
I like the Ivy Bridge idea, but don't like the sticker shock! Now, if we could get someone to build a 8p 2011. ;)
 
I saw a 4p board at wiredzone.com the other day. The MB price wasn't that bad at about $1000. I'm not sure how to find out how powerful they are compared to Opterons. I wonder if the rule of thumb might be one Opteron core is equal to one HT core of same speed. I have to look more to find out what it might be.

Maybe the price of the chips will go down a bit after Ivy Bridge becomes a higher percentage of what Intel is making. At least, an article I read said Intel wants to make the percentage of Ivy Bridge go up.
 
The E5-4650, E5-4650L and E5-4660 are exceptionally expensive. They make the 2P chips look like child toys. Not sure if they can scale to the 8P capabilities.

I would not count on their pricing to come down at all either.
 
Eh, it'll be $499 for the version below the Extreme edition at Microcenter, be a good replacement for the 3930k.



Rather have an 8 core that overclocks over a 10 core that's 2 times the price and doesn't.

That would mean that they lower the price on the 3930k.... Not sure that is happening any time soon with out SOMETHING out there challenge it.
 
That would mean that they lower the price on the 3930k.... Not sure that is happening any time soon with out SOMETHING out there challenge it.

They're not going to lower the price, they'll EOL it once Ivy hits, try finding a i7-970 or 980. I can't upgrade either of my two 920s to 6 cores because it's impossible to find decently priced ones, made more sense to go X79.
 
Back
Top