Iastor Problem with ich9r and Velociraptor raid

Mcklain

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

Before explaining my problem in depth I would like to let everyone know that I didnt have that problem prior to install my 2 velociraptor. I used to use 2 raptor 150 in raid 0 with the same hardware and vista 64 and never have I had that problem before.

I installed vista last week with 2 velociraptor in raid 0 on my p5e-vm hdmi. Since vista has build in raid drivers I dont have to load any f6 drivers (compared to xp where you need to do that). When the install finishes I install th rest of my intel drivers with my motherboard cd. Then randomly when I open internet explorer or other applications, i start to browse web page then randomly my pc will freeze (pause) (I can still move my mouse, but cant minimize windows or open start menu) and while this pause is on my hdd led is red non stop, then after 5-10 sec everything comes back to normal and everything works.

Keep in mind I install vista twice since this problem and the same problem appears.
I checked my vista log and here is what I found:

VelociraptorIastorproblem.jpg

I know this file is in relation to my raid drivers. So what I think I will try to do tonight is install the latest intel chipset software. The raid driver version I have is 7.5 at the moment. If that fails then I will try to load updated raid drivers at the start of the vista installation.

Any other suggestion from you guys??

Here is also a thread about someone that seems to have a similar problem

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1000177.html

Any update on this?!?! I've got an ICHR9 controller and was about to order a couple WDVR's until I saw this. NOT GOOD.

This can happen with only 1 drive installed as well if you have AHCI mode enabled in XP. I'd say Intel's controller hubs suck ass, but that would be stating the obvious.

I'm having the same problem using 2 7200.10s in RAID0 maybe its time to break down and buy an add in raid controller. Everything was fine until I reinstalled Vista about a month ago and ever since I can't get my computer stable.

Any more fixes/updates on the Intel ICH9r controller not working with these drives?!?!

Ouch, I've been seeing these ICH9R problem posts popping up everywhere. This is not good for VR.

Just thinking out loud here...so correct me if I am off...but in the error msg it stated that the array did not respond within the timeout period...could this be a TLER issue?

This problem only occurs to me when I put my drives in raid mode.

I have been using my velociraptor in ide mode for the past 2 weeks and never have I had the problem reappear.

Update:

Since there isnt really a clear solution out there yet I have decided to return my 2 velociraptor drives.

I will be orderding 2 new ocz core series ssd drives (64gb models). It's gonna be cheaper and I will get more performance (hoping raid 0 will work with those). Space is not an issue on my gaming pc so 128gb will be enought.

I ran into similar issues with my setup. I ended up grabbing a SATA Raid controller card. I only have a single WD Velociprator mind you. Nothing I could do would correct this issue. It does appear to be a compatibility issue with the ICH9r on the motherboard.

It's too late since you have already returned the drives but I was able to solve this problem for ~$30 myself and things are working great now. Feel free to check out my thread if interested.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317597&highlight=velociraptor

Thanks a ton for this post man. Very helpful. What a freaking MESS. This is so disappointing as I love the Intel Matrix onboard solutions. Just simple and clean. Why in the world hasn't Intel come out with a flash update or something for the ICH9R's??

Great, I just setup my system with the Matrix setup, lol. I guess I'll see how it goes.

I need in on this. I was just thinking about getting a VR drive, but I have an Asus P5K Deluxe with an ICH9R controller. I can't be having these kinds of errors. :(

Who's the problem with? Is it the VR drive (WD), or is it the ICH9R controller (Intel)?

Having the same problem in Vista 64 with the WD3000GLFS velociraptor in nvraid 0 in Vista 64. Seems like this is a Vista bug? XP seems to work without parity error. No problems with 74gb Raptors or the Caviar Blacks...

WD please add this issue to your support site!

I've got my main rig running 3 VR300's in RAID0 on Vx64 with no problems whatsoever - perfect (ICH9R.) My second box is running 2 VR74's in RAID0 on Vx64 with no problems whatsoever - perfect (ICH10R.)

I assume y'all have loaded the latest Matrix Manager AND chipest drivers AND storage drivers??

I would try running the wdtler utility and turn on tler on the drives.

Worked for me.

Are you using RAID 0,1 or 5?

Someone received this reply from WD regarding TLER settings.

Hello,

The integrated controllers that you are referring to (Silicon,Intel etc) are predominantly used in a RAID 0 (desktop) environment.

This to enhance performance (Games, Video Editing, Workstation, Database)
The TLER does not operate under single HDD or RAID 0 setup.

Regards,

WD

I solved the problem by buying an Areca 1220 controller...

Intel mobo RAID SUCKS

Not sure if I found the right one but $700 and it has a fan and I don’t think I have an open PCIE slot and the board I have now should work. If Intel has so many issues why don’t any of the motherboard review sites take them to task for it?

2x WD VR 150GB on ICH10R running flawlessly for at least 3 months now.

(rig sig)

2x WD VR 150GB on ICH10R running flawlessly for at least 3 months now.

(rig sig)

I have seen a few people post that info but I don’t have the 150VRs and more importantly I don’t have the ICH10R controller. Are you running any other drives? Are you sure you don’t have any errors running Check Disk and no controller errors anywhere in the event logs? They are very random. I had a DFI board that had more errors than the Gigabyte I’m now using. I can go a month with out seeing random crash or RAID volume error. I think that is why not many are online looking for help. They may not even know they have the issue.

It also seems to flare up on large file transfers from drive to drive. I have also seen the controller go nuts when adding or removing a drive. The boot BIOS has errors and trouble seeing the drive. If I power off and on it goes away. I am using all the SATA ports and one of the P-ATA channels but that should not bee an issue. I’m going to try it with just the VR drives but I’ll never now if and when I’ll see an issue and I’ll not have access to the rest of me stuff. :(

If I use the F7 BIOS I get RAID errors and random crashes. It makes no difference if I overclock or not. I can overclock the CPU and it is in all other ways, stable.

I believe the F8C BIOS is an attempt to fix the RAID issue. Maybe it is just a side effect of the noted "Update Intel AHCI ROM" in the F8C BIOS description but it works for me.

The problem is that with the F8C BIOS I can no longer overclock at all. If I change the FrontSide Bus from the default of 333 to even 334 the GA-X48-DS5 will not boot and reset the BIOS settings. With the F7 BIOS this is completely stable, as it should be.

Back