I9-9900K rarely dips below 4.6-4.7ghz across all cores

Andross182

Gawd
Hey gents,

Question for you all regarding my i9-9900k and SpeedStep. My previous build consisting of an i7-4790k and a gigabyte z97x-ud3h-bk board using the resource monitor I would see my CPU ramping up to 4.4 ghz or scaling down significantly depending on CPU load, however this doesn't seem to be the case with my 9900k. The only time I have seen the CPU frequency reduce it self was when system load dropped below 3% in which case the resource monitor showed the chip dip under 4ghz, only to ramp right back up.

The board I am using is a Gigabyte Aorus Pro with the latest bios. I have gone through my bios settings and verfied the CPU EIST FUnction is set to Auto, so it seems to be enabled from the bios side at least.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is not too concerning but I find it odd that I can have nothing running, and launch note pad and my system decides it needs to go full tilt to accomplish that task.

Intel set the Speed step to be very aggressive on these new CPUs. Those core speeds are normal for a loaded system (4.5 GHz on 16 threads load, with excellent cooling).

But I'm not sure it's supposed to stay that fast even when unloaded. It's a new platform, so congrats on being the beta tester :D

Last edited:
Hey gents,

Question for you all regarding my i9-9900k and SpeedStep. My previous build consisting of an i7-4790k and a gigabyte z97x-ud3h-bk board using the resource monitor I would see my CPU ramping up to 4.4 ghz or scaling down significantly depending on CPU load, however this doesn't seem to be the case with my 9900k. The only time I have seen the CPU frequency reduce it self was when system load dropped below 3% in which case the resource monitor showed the chip dip under 4ghz, only to ramp right back up.

The board I am using is a Gigabyte Aorus Pro with the latest bios. I have gone through my bios settings and verfied the CPU EIST FUnction is set to Auto, so it seems to be enabled from the bios side at least.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is not too concerning but I find it odd that I can have nothing running, and launch note pad and my system decides it needs to go full tilt to accomplish that task.

Did you go into Control Panel, Power Options and select "Balanced" as opposed to "Performance"?

Performance will lock all cores on max speed where balanced will downclock

Best thing you can do is install Throttlestop 8.70 and enable speeshift in the TPL window.
Then you can enter a value by the green "SST" in the main window and control just how much you want the CPU to downclock.
0=max power all the time
80-96=max power on any load.
128=balanced
255=max power savings.

The amount you want Speedshift to range in cpu multipliers you enter in the speedshift min/max window.
This window also controls how far you can manually change the CPU multipliers in the FIVR window, if you are trying to overclock with Throttlestop.

Did you go into Control Panel, Power Options and select "Balanced" as opposed to "Performance"?

Performance will lock all cores on max speed where balanced will downclock

Yeah its set to Balanced under the power options.

Back