i9 12900k temperature problem?

Orbi

n00b
Holla.. A week ago installed fresh build, with new z690 mobo and i9 12900k, CPU temps were 60 in games.. But suddenly temperatures started to spike between 60-80.. Like.. one moment it is 60, then 68, 75, 70, 81, 75 etc... Thought maybe it happens in one game, so tried another 2 games, same thing.. Any ideas? FPS are fine, no drops or something. Temps checked via MSI afterburner, core temp, and etc.. No overclocked parts. Tried reinstall windows - nothing. Tried reapply thermal paste - nothing. Actually noticed, that CPU usage also higher, spikes to 65%. Maybe CPU itself failing? Any knowlegde would be helpful! :) Cooler - corsair h150i elite capellix. At idle, it stays 28-35 soo I assume, cooler is fine?..

Could just be related to boost speeds, CPU will only boost for a limited time and this also depends on temperatures.

Check CPU core frequencies when this happens.

Run some benchmarks and compare your numbers to reviews, that will give you a good indication if you are out of spec or not.

Could just be related to boost speeds, CPU will only boost for a limited time and this also depends on temperatures.

Check CPU core frequencies when this happens.
CPU has auto boost, and while in game, it boosts to 5.1ghz, like before.. Nothing was changed. Normal temp for this cpu in games is around 60c.. But to rise somehow up to 85? should be crazy OC in order to achieve something like this.

Run some benchmarks and compare your numbers to reviews, that will give you a good indication if you are out of spec or not.
Did cinebench a few days ago, temps reached around 83 maximum.. did again today, some cores reached 100c, most of them 85-90+.. Higher than before. AS I mentioned before, no OC or some hardware changed were made. One Thing that I did, was chaned RAMS with a more speed and better timings,

Did cinebench a few days ago, temps reached around 83 maximum.. did again today, some cores reached 100c, most of them 85-90+.. Higher than before. AS I mentioned before, no OC or some hardware changed were made. One Thing that I did, was chaned RAMS with a more speed and better timings,
You might have inadvertently bumped the imc voltage by putting more load on it with adjusting the memory speeds. Put them back to defaults and see if you go back to previous temps.

CPU has auto boost, and while in game, it boosts to 5.1ghz, like before.. Nothing was changed. Normal temp for this cpu in games is around 60c.. But to rise somehow up to 85? should be crazy OC in order to achieve something like this.
thats all normal, no it wouldnt take a crazy oc, just longer sustained cpu load. those chips can get hot if just running at stock mobo setting, no voltage tweaking. make sure your pump is at 100% and that fans are ramping up to full around 75.

furious could be right too..

You might have inadvertently bumped the imc voltage by putting more load on it with adjusting the memory speeds. Put them back to defaults and see if you go back to previous temps.
Did not even touched memory besides XMP tuning.. Did BIOS reset anyway, did not helped. AS I menioned at the beginning, these crazy temp spikes appeared out of nowhere while playing, for like 5-6 days everything was normal, CPU 60C.

thats all normal, no it wouldnt take a crazy oc, just longer sustained cpu load. those chips can get hot if just running at stock mobo setting, no voltage tweaking. make sure your pump is at 100% and that fans are ramping up to full around 75.

furious could be right too..
AS I mentioned before, for multiple days CPU was at 60C, no matter what I was playing, and out of nowhere while playing, spikes appeared. Anyway, I checked multiple videos with other people gameplays with same CPU, 57-63c.. Something is definately not right.

what game? you arent naming it/them.
did you disable vsync somewhere? did drivers update or change? did the corsair software update? have you checked its settings are the same?

what game? you arent naming it/them.
did you disable vsync somewhere? did drivers update or change? did the corsair software update? have you checked its settings are the same?
BF5, BF 2042, Warzone, Apex... tried these 4. All drivers updated, corsair software? I got iCUE, this has no impact on temps like this. AS I mentioned in previous posts, these temp spikes appeared out of nowhere, in mid game basically. BIOS reset, windows reinstall has changed nothing.

BF5, BF 2042, Warzone, Apex... tried these 4. All drivers updated, corsair software? I got iCUE, this has no impact on temps like this. AS I mentioned in previous posts, these temp spikes appeared out of nowhere, in mid game basically. BIOS reset, windows reinstall has changed nothing.

yes icue. did it update and change settings. like from performance to quiet mode? if your reinstall it, it might default to quiet.
did you disable vsync anywhere, like in nvidia/amd control panel, or the games?
did you move the system at all? whats your ambient temp like? suddenly warmer?
how do you have the aio mounted? can you post a pic?(drag n drop into your post)

yes icue. did it update and change settings. like from performance to quiet mode? if your reinstall it, it might default to quiet.
did you disable vsync anywhere, like in nvidia/amd control panel, or the games?
did you move the system at all? whats your ambient temp like? suddenly warmer?
how do you have the aio mounted? can you post a pic?(drag n drop into your post)
Yes it is in quiet mode, I changed the same day I got this cooler.. other modes are too loud. Even though fan is working 100% the problem remains the same. I always disabling vsyns in any game, this sholdn't affect temps at all.(while was playing BFV today, vsync was enabled for some reason, but anyway, temps were the same extremely high) Room temperature is around 22. Anyway, something is not working properly in my opinion, while I was in game, changed nothing at all when this happened. Attached a photo.

Attachments

• 20211219_221407.jpg
    20211219_221407.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 0
Yes it is in quiet mode, I changed the same day I got this cooler.. other modes are too loud. Even though fan is working 100% the problem remains the same. I always disabling vsyns in any game, this sholdn't affect temps at all. Room temperature is around 22. Anyway, something is not working properly in my opinion, while I was in game, changed nothing at all when this happened. Attached a photo.
crank it up. maybe it was in performance mode before.
vsync will affect your temps. more fps requires more cpu/gpu usage as well as adding heat to you case where you aio is sucking hot air out the top.
sounds like its working like normal to me, you just need to turn it up to get the lower temps you want. it is still well within intels specs.

Yes it is in quiet mode, I changed the same day I got this cooler.. other modes are too loud. Even though fan is working 100% the problem remains the same. I always disabling vsyns in any game, this sholdn't affect temps at all.(while was playing BFV today, vsync was enabled for some reason, but anyway, temps were the same extremely high) Room temperature is around 22. Anyway, something is not working properly in my opinion, while I was in game, changed nothing at all when this happened. Attached a photo.
The pump on the AIOs are generally very weak and quiet is too slow for the h150i IMO. Try running it at balanced or extreme and check temps again. Also monitor your water temps to see if you need to increase your fan speed. You can read the temps in icue or hwinfo, but only run one of them at any given time unless they fixed the incompatability issues. The 12900k will consume a lot of watts on full boost, but would expect the water temps to stay below 35 degrees, most likely high 20s or low 30s with 22 ambient. There is a good chance you need to go to balanced or extreme fan profile with a 12900k.

If you have spare paste lying around then you could also consider redoing the paste. It shouldn't go bad like that, but it can be worth a try if changing profiles doesn't do much.

alder lake just runs plain hot, even with a AIO. I can easily hit 100c in cinebench and thermal throttle. I spent all weekend downvolting and testing so I am now stable and no longer throttling though I still hit 93c in cinebench. My main use case is video encoding so it was important to me that I got my temps down. I've not had any issues with gaming even without downvolting. 35c-50c or so in games. Idle 30c.

The pump on the AIOs are generally very weak and quiet is too slow for the h150i IMO. Try running it at balanced or extreme and check temps again. Also monitor your water temps to see if you need to increase your fan speed. You can read the temps in icue or hwinfo, but only run one of them at any given time unless they fixed the incompatability issues. The 12900k will consume a lot of watts on full boost, but would expect the water temps to stay below 35 degrees, most likely high 20s or low 30s with 22 ambient. There is a good chance you need to go to balanced or extreme fan profile with a 12900k.

If you have spare paste lying around then you could also consider redoing the paste. It shouldn't go bad like that, but it can be worth a try if changing profiles doesn't do much.
seems they dont want to hear that....
they have repasted according to the op.

seems they dont want to hear that....
they have repasted according to the op.
The h150i pro xt which is almost the same cooler as the elite is really sensitive to mounting and lacks spring tension mounting (not easy to get the right pressure/optimal mount). Afaik it is mainly fans and cosmetics on the pump/waterblock housing that are different. When I had one temporarily on a 5900x the difference between a good and a bad mount was somewhere in the 4-6 degrees range. Trying to offset mount as much as possible towards the bottom and doing the criss-cross pattern in very small turns on each screw helped quite a bit with getting more consistent mounting. Remounted it 4 times IIRC and only got a good mount on the last two after learning the deficiencies of the mounting mechanism.

Lapping it would probably improve the contact as well. Could also be that it needs to run at full pump speed for a day or two to get airbubbles out of the waterblock part of the pump/block housing as the tubes are afaik lower than the highest part of the waterblock.

The h150i pro xt which is almost the same cooler as the elite is really sensitive to mounting and lacks spring tension mounting (not easy to get the right pressure/optimal mount). Afaik it is mainly fans and cosmetics on the pump/waterblock housing that are different. When I had one temporarily on a 5900x the difference between a good and a bad mount was somewhere in the 4-6 degrees range. Trying to offset mount as much as possible towards the bottom and doing the criss-cross pattern in very small turns on each screw helped quite a bit with getting more consistent mounting. Remounted it 4 times IIRC and only got a good mount on the last two after learning the deficiencies of the mounting mechanism.

Lapping it would probably improve the contact as well. Could also be that it needs to run at full pump speed for a day or two to get airbubbles out of the waterblock part of the pump/block housing as the tubes are afaik lower than the highest part of the waterblock.
yes its just fancier, but you said repaste and then go on about mounting pressure?! ok...
no need to lap, this isnt 2001. yes he needs to turn it up and tilt it back to get any bubbles out. at least it mounted in the right position....

alder lake just runs plain hot, even with a AIO. I can easily hit 100c in cinebench and thermal throttle. I spent all weekend downvolting and testing so I am now stable and no longer throttling though I still hit 93c in cinebench. My main use case is video encoding so it was important to me that I got my temps down. I've not had any issues with gaming even without downvolting. 35c-50c or so in games. Idle 30c.
Power/Boost management appears to be the new technical challenge for PC enthusiasts this decade.

Stock clocks or overclocked? Mine hits 70c in Cinebench R23 with a simple undervolt with maximum fan speed of 1k RPMs (A12-x25 fans).

Stock clocks or overclocked? Mine hits 70c in Cinebench R23 with a simple undervolt with maximum fan speed of 1k RPMs (A12-x25 fans).
Same old same board partners cranking up boost and duration varying by board and maker is nothing new at all. I'm frankly all for it because it's sets a nice baseline to start testing what you'll tweak it to run 24-7 unless NOT{H} then maybe best left alone.

stock it hits 100c and throttles. Undervolting will drop it down but it's still hotter than i'd like. But it's stable and not throttling. I can undervolt more and bring the temps way down but it's not stable.
I don't overclock.

Last edited:
Back