i7920 cooling

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
What are my best options for overclocking and cooling an i7 920 to around 4.2 ghz on an asus rampage 2 gene MOBO ??

I have the same proc and board, and Im using a Corsair H70. It works well, would recommend an h50 or h60 tho.

HK 3.0, and a Black Ice SR1 or GTS should work. Get your HK plated by Red if you can.

Well for just a CPU I really like the Swiftech self contained system in my sig... But I'd guess that what is in my second system is more like what you might be thinking of, if you are even interested in water-cooling...

Its got a Swiftech Apogee XT block, an Swiftech MCP655 pump mounted in an XSPC bay reservoir, a Black Ice SR1 360 Radiator. And I've taken to just using Artic Silver Ceramatique heat sink paste.

Now, I do plan to change the pump / reservoir out. It doesn't provide the pressure I'm looking for when I add 2 VGA blocks and a 240 rad. So I'm planning on getting a Koolance bay reservoir and mounting the pump back with my EK D5 rev.2 top in the bottom of the case.

I should really take some pics of these two setups, but it seems I'm always up to my ears doing stuff for other people. :)

BTW - I originally used one of those EK "Heatkillers" in my second system, and I have to say I was unimpressed. The cooling was NOT really superior and the mounting of the block was a flat out pain...

Last edited:
I would love to watercool I'm just afraid to invest a ton of money if i can't reuse the parts on another processer, i already own an i7-2600k that i may upgrade too soon, but I also just achieved a stable 4.1 ghz OC on my 920 which leads me to believe theres no point in switching

I would love to watercool I'm just afraid to invest a ton of money if i can't reuse the parts on another processer, i already own an i7-2600k that i may upgrade too soon, but I also just achieved a stable 4.1 ghz OC on my 920 which leads me to believe theres no point in switching

The Heatkiller blocks have exchangable mounting hardware that will allow you to mount the block on just about any MB-CPU combination you can think of.

You just pop in the new brackets and away you go.

I'm planning on using my HK in an X79 build as soon as they are released.:D

Back