i73820 / 1.25X BCLK strap settings

psyclist

Gawd
Ive got a 3820 running on a GA-X79S-UP5. Just wondering, anybody else has had trouble with the 1.25x strap with thier 3820's? I've tried dropping the multi, upping voltages, dropping memory speeds. Can't get it to engage. Do the turbo settings need to be enabled or disabled? All power saving functions are turned off. What about vt-d etc? ... All that happens the 2 miss boots and then a third resetting things. Kinda stumped...

I haven't gotten it working either on my MSI X79A-GD65. I thought it was just my motherboard not liking that setting. I haven't tried changing vcore, but I have dropped the multipliers such that the effective speeds for everything was well below stock, and it won't even boot into bios.

bumped all the voltages to a healthy amount (as im under the H100i) the 1.25x strap just refuses to work. just wondering if anybody has come accross the same problem. Chip related or MB issues?

This is obvious, but have you dropped your RAM speed to accomodate the BLK strap? I run 2133 MHz RAM. I have to drop my RAM speed to 1600 Mhz for an effective 2000 MHz (1600 x 1.25) after it's applied. So basically my RAM runs below spec because it's not stable @ 2300+ MHz.

I can boot to 5ghz @ 125 strap... only stable @ 4.625 Mhz with acceptable voltages.

It's not worth it really... just an ego thing I guess.

You can try disabling spread spectrum, running CPU VTT about 1.25v, load line calibration needs to be jacked-up also. PLL is supposedly safe up to 2.0v and might help with BLK overclocking. I leave it 1.9v.

Just reporting back, thanks for the responses guys. After thinking about it doing a little more digging and trial and error. Im running my BCLK @ 90Mhz with the 1.25x Strap, so effectively 112.5Mhz. Its priming right now at 4.8Ghz with the 43x Multi. Gonna fiddle with the BCLK a little more and see what more I can squeeze out of her! Im dreaming of 5Ghz

This is obvious, but have you dropped your RAM speed to accomodate the BLK strap? I run 2133 MHz RAM. I have to drop my RAM speed to 1600 Mhz for an effective 2000 MHz (1600 x 1.25) after it's applied. So basically my RAM runs below spec because it's not stable @ 2300+ MHz.

I can boot to 5ghz @ 125 strap... only stable @ 4.625 Mhz with acceptable voltages.

It's not worth it really... just an ego thing I guess.

You can try disabling spread spectrum, running CPU VTT about 1.25v, load line calibration needs to be jacked-up also. PLL is supposedly safe up to 2.0v and might help with BLK overclocking. I leave it 1.9v.

This has been my experience as well after playing with my new 2011 setup over the last week.... 1.44v needed for 4.625 small fft stable. Since the 1.25x strap stops you from using offset voltages I've just gone back to the 1.00x strap, 105blk and 43x multiplier for 4.5ghz with much better day to day voltage control.

This has been my experience as well after playing with my new 2011 setup over the last week.... 1.44v needed for 4.625 small fft stable. Since the 1.25x strap stops you from using offset voltages I've just gone back to the 1.00x strap, 105blk and 43x multiplier for 4.5ghz with much better day to day voltage control.

I just picked up a Rampage from the egg. I don't know why. I'll end up going back to similar settings. I like having my RAM overclocked instead of underclocked. I'm thinking tri-sli (rather stupidly), which the Sabertooth really isn't built for.

If I don't go a month without upgrading something I lose it. Where are the damn Ivy-E's?:p

If I don't go a month without upgrading something I lose it. Where are the damn Ivy-E's?:p

I'd bet that Ivy-E is in production ATM in the form of Xeons, but all production is being siphoned off to Intel's "preferred" customers...:rolleyes:

The defectives chips from those Xeons being produced now are being neutered into gimped i7s and stockpiled, while Intel's marketing department works overtime trying to find a way to spin those turds into appearing to be the next best thing...:rolleyes:

A monumental task to be sure, but Intel's marketers are among the best in the world, so I'm sure they're equal to the task...;)

There's no conspiracy, IB-E chips are not available yet.

There's no conspiracy, IB-E chips are not available yet.

They're not available to you or I, but I'd bet that they're available to Intel's "preferred" customers, like the DoD, intelligence agencies, and very large corporations.

Much like Sandy Bridge-EP, that was in production of September 2011, with all non-defective processors ending up in the hands of large purchasers. Actual availability of the full 8 core product didn't occur for the great unwashed (us) until March 2012 and November 2011 for the Xeon rejects, the LGA2011 i7s. The big buyers really weren't after the defective 6 core versions, so Intel gave those to us first, as they had no other way to get rid of them. Only when the needs of the big buyers were satisfied did Intel permit the rest of us to have the fully fledged (albeit totally locked down) 8 core model.

I have the x79-ud5 with a 3820, 1.25strap, I only had to bring down the memory speed and up the voltage a bit, I believe I'm at 1.375v for 4.65ghz, I Will check when I get home the exact settings.

Back