I7 water cooling worth it?

newbs

Gawd
So I seem to be hitting a wall overclocking my i7 and I am wondering if people are having good luck overclocking with water. My cpu temp does not seem to be getting high 39c but my NB temps are hitting 60+.

umm, well if you can bump up the volts on your standard cooler and can get a higher stable OC, but are suffering from high temps then yes go for W/C, otherwise i wouldnt bother, its not gonna get you any more MHZ if your chip wont do it.

Yeah I'm only upto 3.4ghz but at 205 starts getting flaky but only at 1.41 volts on the CPU all other voltages stock

1.41v for 3.4Ghz on an i7 is WAYYYY to high unless you have the suckiest i7 chip ever.

You really should be able to do 3.4Ghz on stock or just above stock voltage... so around 1.2-1.25v

So you are running a 16x multiplier (200x16 = 3400)? What chip do you have?

For higher bclk, you will need to adjust the other voltages as well.... and make sure NO voltages are set on AUTO.

It's a 2.27ghz es hex core xeon. I just set the voltage high to not mess around I can back it down later to fine tune it. What other voltages should I be raising once I'm past 200 bclk.

I got my I7 at 4 ghz and the voltage is 1.33. At 1.387 I can get it to 4.2 Ghz but temps are to warm.

This hex core at a slower speed keeps more data flowing to my videocards then my 920's at over 4ghz. If I could justify the cost I would get a 980x.

that 17x multi is really whats keeping you from getting higher overclocks since most boards get flaky above 200bclk.

Hmm would water cooling the north bridge help or does that have nothing to do with the bclk ? I'm fine memory wise mushkin 1600 cas six so just bump the speed down so that's covered. The system is loaded with 3 gtx470's and a pci-e sound card so the board is full.

My Asus P6TD had provisions to mount a 50(?)mm fan on the passive NB heatsink; not having one of those handy; and not wanting to spend a lot of money to see if it would help I bought an adapter to mount my old 60x25mm high speed fan on it. It didn't give me even one 1mhz of extra bclk. you might get something from watercooling it but I wouldn't expect a lot.

Back