• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 stock heatsink

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,194
Is the i7 stock heatsink any good? anyone know its idle/load temps if not over clocked.
 
Well, think of it this way, would Intel ship a heatsink that wasn't capable of properly cooling the chip? There are tens, if not hundreds of millions of computers out there with stock heat sinks with users that don't even know what monitoring cpu temperature is, nor do they even care, and cpu's still hardly fail. If you don't plan on OCing, you'll be just fine with stock, so the temperature doesn't matter.
 
Is the i7 stock heatsink any good? anyone know its idle/load temps if not over clocked.

If you're not planning on overclocking (or plan to OC but not much), it should suffice.

If you plan to overclock the i7 past 3.2GHz, I strongly recommend a good heatsink.
 
if I where to overclock I would only stay at 3.0 ghz max. So i should be fine with it?
 
You could probably get away with that without bumping the voltage, so the heat increase would be very small compared to stock... (That's only a 340mhz increase too)

But yea, stock will probably be fine... the pushpins are a PITA but I wouldn't be worried...
 
stock heatsink is fine for stock clocks.

if you even think about OCing, buy an aftermarket heatsink
 
It is fine for stock usage. Remember though, these chips do run a bit hot; so it might be a decent investment to upgrade your cooling.
I figure, if you are going to spend the money on a new processor, spend a bit more and buy an aftermarket cooler
 
ALL of the Intel stock coolers suck... All they have done since the P3 heatsinks is to make it bigger.

Even DELL usually uses a lot better heatsinks than what Intel provides stock.
 
I'm running it stock, and it sucks. Going to get myself a better HSF combo next time I decide to order a batch of computer parts (probably if nVidia or ATI release some better video cards).
 
anyone? maybe i should just keep it stock and save $70.00
 
Last edited:
I tried to oc my new system and it over clocked very well was like 3.5 brought up real temp and my eyes bugged out.. stock cooler just couldnt handle it. So, Im in the same boat. After spending so much on this system dont have the funds yet to get a new one. Yes, it does suck not being able to oc this puppy cause it took to it so well.

Humm seems I need to change my tag lines
 
i agree with most of the people here, same as back with the q6600 and other quads the stock cooler can be used if you are not planning on overclocking
 
Back
Top