• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 Performance Problems

Vect-Rex

n00b
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
46
Alright, so I just finished building my i7 system and the first thing I do is run the mafia II benchmark. The score I receive is actually lower then my core 2 duo system which surprised me. Anyways, I go into the bios and overclock the cpu to 4.2ghz. I then run the mafia II benchmark once again and the results hardly changed. I find this very odd and was hoping someone could explain this. Also, the other thing I noticed is that windows, cinebench and maifa II will show the cpu clock lower than it really is. For example, I'm clocked at 4.2ghz and windows will show 4.03ghz, but cpu-z shows the clock accurately. I'll post the bench results:

1st run:http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9171/60222653.png

2nd run:http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4774/oddr.png

Incorrect readings: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1677/16018479.png
 
Well, stock i7 950 is more than enough for both Mafia 2 and your HD4800 series video card, so such a small increase in FPS is normal. As for the readings, it goes like that: if you left the multiplier untouched (x23), then all applications would report frequency correctly, but as soon as you set it to max (highest multiplier available when all 4 cores are loaded, in your processor's case - x24) - most "not so smart" applications would still think your're running at x23. In such a case, there's no need to worry, since you're running running at x24 (just like CPU-Z reports).
 
Last edited:
It's quite possible that you are GPU limited, which is why you didn't see any increase in speed when you went to the i7. As far as cooling goes, what are you using? At high speeds you'll need a pretty beefy cooler for an i7.
 
@4.2 I would think the h50 would be straining immensely to cool that chip.
 
Back
Top