• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 overclocking Air to WC

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 12, 2002
Messages
5,737
This is what I wanted to replace on my Nautilus 500. Nasty I know..
img1402oq7.jpg



Using Swfitechs GTZ and hold down adapter for 1366, I was able to transform and old WC unit into...well...what you see here.
img1397um9.jpg


I was using stock for the first week until I found Coolmaster V8

img1416rp2.jpg


Now with the stock cooler, I could OC to 3.6 handily but temps concerned me. The v8 allowed me to bump it up to 3.7 without worrying about temps. Problem was, I knew I could boot to 4ghz or higher but the temps and my lack of knowledge overclocking X58 simply didn't jive.

Watercooling with a simple change of blocks has allowed me to OC to 4Ghz but temp were a little to high when running prime. So I backed it down to 3.85 and I think I've found that happy middle ground.

All it cost me was $65.00 for the block and adapter. Yes, I paid for the V8 but I'll sell that.

Temps were pretty much the same idle across the board regardless of cooling. Stock gave a couple degrees higher. No real data there. The change in LOAD data from v8 to GTZ are about 10 degrees average depending on what you do. A viable choice for these hot chips.

Anyhow, I don't go crazy with graphs but you all like pictures. Unless something better comes along, I'm very happy with this.
 
if anyone is interested in the v8 PM me. Otherwise, I thought I'd see a comment or two since some of u were looking to wc ur i7 and it's working great for me.
 
nice, but im gonna stick with air cooling on mine since its set and forget. Too many possibilities of shit hitting the fan if something went wrong w/ a water setup.

Worst thing you gotta worry about with air is your CPU fan stops spinning. Even then most heatsinks are effecient enough that you would notice and be able to fix before any damage was dealt.

Nice water setup tho, all in all. I would be mad if I couldnt do more the 4ghz on water tho, cause I plan on doing that on air with my TRUE.

When you say temp's wernt where you liked, what were those temps?
 
first, i7 overclocking isn't like your daddy's automobile ;)...it's way different. The risks associated with a setup once installed is really no different than your standard HSF setup. The worse case for both setups is your cooling stops working (as with any setup). But in both cases, your system will shut down with either cooling alternative before anything bad happens.

I would be mad if I couldnt do more the 4ghz on water tho, cause I plan on doing that on air with my TRUE.

If you're cooling an i7 cpu, I doubt you'll be able to go crazy OCing on AIR no matter how good the cooler. I could get 4Ghz on air easy with my stock cooler and v8. It's temps on prime that I look for when I consider my rig stable. Because temps shot to 80+, I wasn't willing to keep my rig that way (besides, my rig shut down on stock cooling). With watercooling, I can maintain a mid 70ish while running prime for a few hours. I figure the safe range was @ 3850ish. It's not that people can't clock higher, it's what temps are you willing to live with.

I can't wait to see how u do when you start ocing these chips (920 of course)... ;)

edit: Without turning HT off :)
 
Back
Top