• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 high cpu usage

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,194
when i open firefox and run anything ie youtube it jumps from 1% to 16%... then why i run AVG it goes to 100% for a few seconds. After 30% 45 and lower and repeats. is thier something wrong here??
 
i think somethings up with my CPU usage as it goes very high as i mentioned then goes back to normal and repeats.
 
It happens with Firefox, presumably with the Flash Player, and AVG, only?
 
Try updating AVG. What you describe about Firefox and Youtube is normal.
 
it is updated and i checked no viruses..... so i dont know why its doing it.
 
I mean this is a i7 920. it should not have such high cpu usage. Im scanning again now and its at 99% full usage all cores.....


Edit: it just went back down to 32%...and then 13% when scan was over.
 
no it goes back down to 1% on idle with nothing on. If i leave Firefox on idle it will stay at 2-3% but sometimes randomly go to 12-13%...
 
Check and see what prog is using the CPU cycles, not just what the load on the cores are. Are you running an SSD? What does FF do to the load if AVG is turned off?
 
your cpu usage doesnt differ from mine all that much. i run FF with flash and AVG. vista 64
 
I mean this is a i7 920. it should not have such high cpu usage.

This is a classic case of a new pc induced cpu inferiority complex. I had it after I built my first Pentium 4 system. I would wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats worrying about the speed at which computers become "out-of-date" and would proceed to run 3dMark fifty times to satisfy my need to know that I was taking advantage of the glory years of this new pc. I would say chill out dude, there is nothing wrong with your pc. It's amazingly fast but certain things aren't designed to take advantage of quad-core systems with hyper threading. But if you are still worried about it, can't you just run some CPU benchmark programs and compare them to ones on the internet or other users on this forum?
 
I have similar issues, but with a Core2Duo. However, it's not the CPU's fault, but the software itself.
Firefox for instance has memory leak problems. I've had it go all the way up to 450mb just to show Google's main page, after a few hours of browsing. And I'm not the only one with this complaint, so we can assume Firefox is not well coded. Also, flash videos like the ones in YouTube freeze once in a while in Full-Screen. I ended up turning off GPU Acceleration to fix it, causing my CPU usage to raise. However, I don't know if I should blame Adobe or Mozilla for that one. Anyways, I still love Firefox.

As for AVG, I share the same feeling. The problem started around version 7.5 or 8.0, I don't remember. Every time you open a window, load a page, see an image, or do anything for a fact, it checks it. I mean, I appreciate the protection because it does seem to work in catching viruses before they install themselves, but I wish it was a smooth as older versions. If you want to check this yourself, open up Task Manager and see the CPU utilization for AVG processes rise each time you do anything other than moving the mouse or type. But I agree in something, it shouldn't go all the way to a static 100% while scanning. In my Core2Duo it jumps around between 20% and 80%, but even then that's understandable if we realize what its doing and how fast.

So yeah, I agree with previous posts, it's not the CPU. Try to do some video encoding, or some benchmark. You will realize how fast your i720 is compared to previews Intel versions. It's just a matter of loading the right application.
 
ok i also just installed skype from the second i start logging in it goes up to 33% ...
 
That does sound suspicious - mine hovers around 6% when watching 1080p videos...
 
i dont know what could be the problem? some windows process conflicting or do I have to Disable something in the bios ?
 
Programs that aren't properly coded to take advantage of hyperthreading perform worse with it enabled.
 
Programs that aren't properly coded to take advantage of hyperthreading perform worse with it enabled.
Worse than what? How do we know it's performing worse? What clues do we have? How is the CPU usage presented in Task Manager indicative of a program behaving badly with Hyperthreading, anyway? Why disable a hardware feature over a single errant process (if it even was)? Why not try.... reinstalling the software?
 
That does sound suspicious - mine hovers around 6% when watching 1080p videos...

Actually, depending on the codecs used, playback for hd videos isnt very cpu taxing. while running my processor at 2.4 ghz, i can playback 1080p videos with surround sound tracks while only taking up about 10% cpu usage. Hell, even my sisters crappy 1.2 ghz (i think?) amd (mobile dual core?) laptop can playback 1080p vids without surpassing 25% usually.

As for high cpu usage with firefox, i get that to, when i first start it up it maxes out the cpu, so i just think its a software thing.

But if you're skeptical, id second what others are saying about benchmarking and comparing scores with other i7 owners.
 
Programs that aren't properly coded to take advantage of hyperthreading perform worse with it enabled.

Stop spreading non-sense. What you are saying was true years ago when hyperthreadind was first introduced. Core i7 have a big advantage over the old P4 in bandwidth, parallelism, cache sizes, and performance. According to Intel, that's what is making hyperthreading better today.

And to prove that, take a look around:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-12.html
You see a SLIGHT loss in some app (around -2%) and a huge gain in others (sometimes above 20%).
 
OK i did 3-d mark 06 and it gave me 14,841 on all default settings/resolution?

CPU Score
4696

I have the i7 920 2.67ghz
 
Last edited:
Grab the SSE2+ optimized version of Firefox 3.5 right here.

Edit: Link updated for tete's latest version.
 
Last edited:
whats the difference between this one and the 3.5 on firefox.com?
The firefox.com version is designed to run on any CPU. The version above will only run on newer CPUs that support SSE2/SSE3. Changes include optimized image rendering, faster Javascript, and some additional multithreading for multi-core CPUs. Run Futuremark's browser benchmark and compare your result to that below:

tete2.png

Result of this SSE2 Firefox build on Core2 @ 3.5GHz with Nvidia 8800GT

There are a number of optimized Firefox builds -- tete's and ayakawa's are the fastest available. Tete's July 2 test build with sqlite 3.6.16 is the fastest version available today. Neither can match the browser performance of Google Chrome, but many people dislike Chrome for a variety of reasons.
 
Last edited:
i scored this

i7 920 2.66 gtx 275 when benchmark was on cpu usage was at 14%
I linked to the wrong version in my first post that you quoted. Did you grab this one?

If so, your system seems to be performing worse than it should. My Core2 @ 3.5GHz and 8800GT should not be outperforming your system by almost 50%.

Edit: I should note that I temporarily disabled my add-ons (Adblock Plus, etc) for the test. Did you do that?
 
yes. And addblock was on but im guessing it should not make a difference... I did regular Firefox 3.5 and it gave me like 350 less or so too with ad on. I dont get it what is the problem? Also im on Vista 64-bit.


Edit:

With the Addblocker off:

Shiretoko(v3.5) Scored:
2544 Points
 
Last edited:
If you han't gotten rid of AVG yet, do so.

AVG 8.5 resident shield spikes the processor when you do anything on the computer, its insane the amount of resources that the new AVG uses. We ripped if out of all corperate networks we support due to the resident shield slowing down performance on the entire network. We moved to vipre AV, runs much better.

AVG 8.5, making great PC's run like crap since v7.5!!!
 
I got rid of AVG recently too, switching back to Avira AntiVir after reading a big comparison between 2009 anti virus programs. Apparently Norton is lightweight now too! :O
 
Another reason why I use NOD32, but Avira if I don't feel like paying. (With the avnotify.exe fix of course.)
 
i just tried out these on my 2.4 q6600 and 8800gt

Shiretoko 3.5 - 1835 overall
firefox 3.5 - 1701 overall
chrome Chrome 2.0.172.33 - overall 2715

Cpu use was at a steady 25 percent while running those tests for me just as a comparison
 
Ok, so let me get this straight. You're running applications and your CPU usage is increasing? What exactly is the problem? It sounds like your computer is functioning normally.
 
Back
Top