• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 heating problems?!

Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
36
Hi guys. I recently built a new computer. The specs are in my signature. I think I am having some heating problems. I understand that the i7s are designed to withstand a lot of heat, but I think that the amount of heat that my i7 is producing is a bit over kill.

Idle temps: ~53-60
Load temps: ~80+

*note* the load temps only go beyond 80+ when playing team fortress.

As you can see, the temps are pretty high. I am using CPUID to measure the temps. Below you can find the specs to my computer. I’m not sure as to what to do exactly. I was thinking I may have to change the stock heatsink to a 3rd party heatsink in order to reduce the heat. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated!
 
what case is it in? air flow ok? no air flow will kill you too with them dual cards could be part of it if its a small case.
 
Assuming you've checked the airflow in your case as suggested, check what voltage its getting, the 'stock' is 1.25v (I think) but an 'auto' setting might be feeding it more. If you're not overclocking, you may find it runs fine at a lower setting (My 720 does 3.2ghz @ 1.15v, and i've read elsewhere that someone got 3ghz at 1v)
 
Idle temps: ~53-60
Load temps: ~80+

Temps are within specifications (less than 100C).

but I think that the amount of heat that my i7 is producing is a bit over kill.
Putting a better heat sink on the CPU will not reduce the heat produced. It can't that would violate at least one of the laws of thermodynamics. It will make the CPU run cooler though. To reduce power output you will need to undervolt / underclock.
 
Last edited:
Putting a better heat sink on the CPU will not reduce the heat produced. It can't that would violate at least one of the laws of thermodynamics. It will make the CPU run cooler though. To reduce power output you will need to undervolt / underclock.

Actually, even a "normal" undervolt and underclock (semi-permanently fixing the voltage to the lowest voltage level recommended by Intel (to the point where lowering the voltage any further would result in significant stability issues in my system), the BCLK to 133MHz and the multiplier to 12x, thus fixing the CPU clock speed at 1.6GHz) would not reduce the heat or power output much, if any. In fact, my tests on that proved that such a combination of settings consumed nearly as much power and produced nearly as much heat as simply running everything at stock speed - in other words, undervolting and underclocking the system will drastically reduce the efficiency of the system (performance per watt).

And yes, it is true that a CPU will produce the same amount of heat at any given speed regardless of the heatsink used. However. the more efficient heatsinks do absorb more of that heat than a stock Intel boxed CPU cooler.
 
Last edited:
What kind of case/airflow do you have?

Have you re-checked your heat sink mount?

Use CPU-Z or Hardware Monitor to figure out how much voltage is going to the CPU.
 
To me it sounds like you don't have the heatsink locked down all the way.
 
Back
Top