i7, bugs, glitches?

glarsen84

n00b
Hello,
i'm going to build a completely new rig, but i don't know if i should take a Q9550 or a i7 920?
I've been at different forums, and many people are talking about bugs and such, so i'am very nervous, that i will get a buggy PC if i take the i7.

I've once had a P4 2.8Ghz, and it was so extremely unstable because i bought it when it was new, and i don't want that to happend again.

My first pritority is stability, and reliability.

Can someone explain to me, what these bugs are? Are they in the CPU or in the mobo/chipset.. Are they hardware-bugs or just bios bugs.. do i have to buy a new revision motherboard in a few month?

pretty much all platforms have their glitches bugs and weirdness first 3-6 months, its best to wait, plus ddr3 prices will go down.

Okay, but i need a new system very soon (<1 month), and thats making my choice difficult.

I got my 4400 x2 when it was new, besides some minor bugs (performance related), it runs fine.

It will probably be for all intent and purposes stable.

Pretty much all microchips have errata, it's usually documented. The Core2 even had some errata, all were minor and didn't effect most users, and even then, most of the errata was fixed via microcode updates that came seamlessly through Windows update.

Intel spends an incredible amount of time and effort testing their products. Based on their track record, I wouldn't be concerned.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on a q9550, I would either go cheap DDR2 platform, Q6x00, or go all out for the new i7 platform.

I'd be surprised if there were any major bugs in i7. I'm sure there will be *something*, but it will be so minor the issue will be academic. Long gone are the days when Intel would release a new processor with something like the FDIV bug.

As far as DDR3 prices go, it's expensive now because hardly anyone is buying it. Every major memory maker is releasing cheap DDR3 kits for the i7 launch, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks for all replies,

i was wondering if the i7 will run new games better than Quad cores?
I will be playing alot Far Cry 2, and afaik the Quad core is faster than i7 at the same Ghz... ??

Thanks for all replies,

i was wondering if the i7 will run new games better than Quad cores?
I will be playing alot Far Cry 2, and afaik the Quad core is faster than i7 at the same Ghz... ??

What do you mean "better than Quad cores?" The i7's ARE quad core processors. Do you mean better than Core 2 Quad's?

i haven't run into any problems with the Core i7, the X58 chipset or the motherboards so far. Reviews will be posted soon, but I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far, and Kyle's remarks on the P6T have all been glowing.

I would give it about a month though. I doubt the chips will have any problems but some boards may. For instance with AMDs last gen, some boards came with gimpy PWM setups that would burst in to flames and then there was SB600 which couldn't clock the chips worth a darn. It also takes a while to iron out which boards are worth a damn and can clock. Especially in the low price sector. Let other people be the guinea pigs ;)

bare in mind that these nehalem chips along with these x58 mobos have been designed and made over a year ago and they have been testing the shit out of it since then so im sure all major bugs have been fixed.

right now as i type this, dont be surpised if their already in the testing phase of the i7 die shrinks;)

There have been tests run where the Core i7 system ran a few fps under a similar clocked C2Q system with the same vid card setups. The differences have all been so small as to be negligible statistically. This points to the video card being the limiter on virtually any modern gaming application.

I would not be afraid of any major bugs/glitches. There will likely be quirks having to do with software support with such a drastic change in architecture but nothing deal-breaking imho.

I would give it about a month though. I doubt the chips will have any problems but some boards may. For instance with AMDs last gen, some boards came with gimpy PWM setups that would burst in to flames and then there was SB600 which couldn't clock the chips worth a darn. It also takes a while to iron out which boards are worth a damn and can clock. Especially in the low price sector. Let other people be the guinea pigs ;)

Intel holds much more control over the board partners that build motherboards using Intel chipsets which are designed for Intel CPUs.

I've once had a P4 2.8Ghz, and it was so extremely unstable because i bought it when it was new, and i don't want that to happend again.

Funny how I got a P4 2.8GHz when it was brand new, and it's been running perfectly stable at ~3.5GHz to this day... I did built the system myself though and used quality parts too.. :cool:

What do you mean "better than Quad cores?" The i7's ARE quad core processors. Do you mean better than Core 2 Quad's?

Of course he does, why even make this post.
And the answer is yes, its better than the core 2 quads - especially with multi-gpu solutions.

Of course he does, why even make this post.
And the answer is yes, its better than the core 2 quads - especially with multi-gpu solutions.
actually clock for clock the new cpu is not always faster in gaming than the Core 2 Quads. now with regards to multi-gpu setups then yes it does better than the Core 2 Quads.

Hello,
i'm not planning to use multi-gpu, because i do not want sli related problems.
I would like a GTX 280.. maybe the XFX GTX 280 XXX with my Q9550 / Core i7 920/940.

Considering the state of AMD, C2D/Q, and the economy, I doubt Intel rushed i7 out. Though sometimes stupid things happen regardless.

Back