• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 an upgrade from p4?

biff_18

n00b
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
62
answer...
Hells yes.

Finally got myself a new computer.
Bye bye old P4. Hello i7!

i7 860 (perfect for my needs)
asus P7P55D PRO
OCZ 2x2gb DDR3-1600
HIS Radeon HD 4670 iSilence4 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card (good enough for me; I don't game on the comp. Ps3 for my gaming fix)
OCZ Vertex 60GB ssd for Windows 7 (1 tb seagate for movies, music, photos, etc... the ssd is just for the os)

I am very happy with this setup (which is mated to the 47" lcd in the living room).

Looks good, and snappy quick. Can't wait to update the fw on the ssd and see if I can find some more speed in there.

From a cold start to on the internet in about 32 seconds.
Loving this!
 
Is Jessica Alba an upgrade from prison rape?
 
^^^^hahahahahahahaha! Excellent comparison!

Obviously I knew it would be a massive upgrade... But I was afraid I had over-hyped the greatness of what I was going to have (in my mind).

Turns out, I didn't. Well worth every cent!
 
Is Jessica Alba an upgrade from prison rape?

That depends... :p

But yes, going from a P4 to an i7 is a huge difference. When I went from my C2D to the i7 I noticed a huge difference...
 
holy crap that's a huge upgrade. have fun with that setup!
 
You got an i7 just to surf the web???
no, no, no... I do a little more than just that from time to time.
I do a bit of video encoding, a little photo editing and the occasional video editing.

Not gonna lie, depending on what P4 he had, totally worth it still!

haha.. Agreed. The old p4 was starting to have a difficult time with streaming media from the interwebs. Plus my old video card was shot to sh!t.

Vimeo pretty much kicked its @ss. :eek:

Now, not only can I utilize multimedia functions, but I can surf the web too! :D
 
I also upgraded from a P4 system to what I have now.

Night and day difference is a understatement.
 
When the rest of my parts come in tomorrow, I'll be upgrading from an Athlon XP 2500 to a Core i5 750. Those were even slower than the P4s if I remember correctly. I can't even watch HD videos on YouTube.
 
When the rest of my parts come in tomorrow, I'll be upgrading from an Athlon XP 2500 to a Core i5 750. Those were even slower than the P4s if I remember correctly. I can't even watch HD videos on YouTube.
wow dude, that's insane. haha.
That's a really nice upgrade.

Just plain curiosity, how come you guys didn't upgrade sooner? Great time to upgrade but what finally made you say now is a good time versus even 6 months ago? Great timing I'd say though, 750 is great great great value!
 
wow dude, that's insane. haha.
That's a really nice upgrade.

Just plain curiosity, how come you guys didn't upgrade sooner? Great time to upgrade but what finally made you say now is a good time versus even 6 months ago? Great timing I'd say though, 750 is great great great value!

For me, my system could play and do everything I needed fairly well. I didn't have enough money to build a new system. Around Dec. '08 I decided to build a new comp because it was a good time to hop on the i7 and I had cash. It's amazing i've had my Dell 8300 since 2003, and it is a workhorse, still use it for backup, no problems.
 
For me, my system could play and do everything I needed fairly well. I didn't have enough money to build a new system. Around Dec. '08 I decided to build a new comp because it was a good time to hop on the i7 and I had cash. It's amazing i've had my Dell 8300 since 2003, and it is a workhorse, still use it for backup, no problems.

same for me... plus (and although i am wrong) i never felt dual cores were that much of an improvement (even though they were) over what i had, and quad cores were just too expensive at the time.

i7, with the qpi, was a huge leap forward, and i felt the time was right.
 
I haven't really had the money to build one until now. I shouldn't really be spending money on a computer now but I'm sick and tired of using a 6-year-old computer so it just hopped to the top of my priority list. I think the last new game not counting WoW WOTLK I bought was BF2 back in 05 or 06.

I also got an MX518. :) My MX500 has a stiff mouse1 button now and the scroll wheel no longer scrolls. I've been using that thing since shortly after I built my XP 2500+ system. It's been a good 6 years and I still have it in my drawer because I love it too much to just trash it. Now it's just time to get rid of my 17" LCD and that shitty Logitech Media keyboard and I'll be golden.
 
Back
Top