i7 980 Extreme

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
Anyone going to try this bad boy out? 6 Cores of i7 goodness. I am thinking of building a system with one in it. I could use it heavily and never even dent the Big Adv performance!

Or you could go linux and TEAR UP som BigAdv!!

if you want to buy the processor, motherboard, and ram for me.. ill sure as hell try it out.. but other then that.. hell no.. you will never see me spend 1500 dollars on a system ever.. these arent the pentium 2 days anymore.. friggin price is a joke for those things..

good luck on waiting til they hit 500 bucks dookey.. not a chance in hell that will happen until AMD's bulldozer is released in 2011..

For the price and core issues, there's no way I'll be getting one.
Unless you run a dedicated *nix box, you'll have 4 cores sitting there doing nothing because you can't use them in the VM. Of course you could double dip and run 8cores under the bigadv VM and then use the SMP2 client for the other 4 cores, but that kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.

For the price and core issues, there's no way I'll be getting one.
Unless you run a dedicated *nix box, you'll have 4 cores sitting there doing nothing because you can't use them in the VM. Of course you could double dip and run 8cores under the bigadv VM and then use the SMP2 client for the other 4 cores, but that kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.
If the extra four cores can net a ~10,000 extra PPD, it just might be worth it for some people who are also considering to replace or upgrade their general purpose machines. But yes, I agree with you that for mostly folding, the money can be used more effectively.

I wonder if you could dually these, whats the xeon equivelant?

if you want to buy the processor, motherboard, and ram for me.. ill sure as hell try it out.. but other then that.. hell no.. you will never see me spend 1500 dollars on a system ever.. these arent the pentium 2 days anymore.. friggin price is a joke for those things..

good luck on waiting til they hit 500 bucks dookey.. not a chance in hell that will happen until AMD's bulldozer is released in 2011..

the price is$999 and around august a slower version will be out for $562 range

Last edited:
I am all over it. I will wait until after a couple of reviewers put out their thing, and unless there is some performance negative, I will buy one. I do lots of number crunching with multi-threaded software that can take days. Knock 30% off a 3 day run & I can start another & get more done ... 30% sooner.

As far as $$, I would rather have a pair of W5590s.

Model Number sSpec Number Frequency Turbo L2 Cache L3 Cache I/O Bus Mult Uncore Speed Memory Voltage TDP Socket Release Date Part Number(s) Release Price (USD)
Core i7-970[1] 3200 MHz 3460 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x 6.4 GT/s QPI 24x 3 x DDR3-1066 130 W LGA 1366 Q3 2010 $562
Core i7-980 XE[2] 3333 MHz 3600 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x 6.4 GT/s QPI 25x 3 x DDR3-1066 130 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010 $999

Xeon X5680 3333 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x ??? GT/s QPI 25x 3 x DDR3-1333 130 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010
Xeon X5670 2933 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x ??? GT/s QPI 22x 3 x DDR3-1333 95 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010
Xeon X5660 2800 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x ??? GT/s QPI 21x 3 x DDR3-1333 95 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010
Xeon X5650 2667 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x ??? GT/s QPI 20x 3 x DDR3-1333 95 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010
Xeon L5640 2267 MHz 6 x 256 KB 12 MB 2 x ??? GT/s QPI 17x 3 x DDR3-1333 60 W LGA 1366 March 16, 2010

Hmmmm, $562 for the i7-970.......might have to do that when it comes out.

not a chance in hell id spend that much on a processor.. ill stick with my 220 dollar phenom II 940 on a 60 dollar motherboard.. sorry i like F@H.. but not that much.. lol

That can't be street pricing or they better be dropping the prices on the i7 960's which are currently $590 at the 'egg.

That can't be street pricing or they better be dropping the prices on the i7 960's which are currently $590 at the 'egg.

its not.. that should be MSRP.. and we all know nothing ever gets listed anywhere near the msrp unless you pre-order..

Intel has said that these chips will be expensive and cattier to the enthusisest who want the best.
They don't care about cost because AMD has nothing to offer that is even close.
When they introduce the 8-core then we will see a lower priced chip for the masses.
Until then, if you want the best you will pay for it!

its not.. that should be MSRP.. and we all know nothing ever gets listed anywhere near the msrp unless you pre-order..
So that means the current 960 pricing will have to drop significantly if the MSRP on the 970 is going to be cheaper than the current street price of $590 for the 960.

So that means the current 960 pricing will have to drop significantly if the MSRP on the 970 is going to be cheaper than the current street price of $590 for the 960.

the 960 is over priced as it is now.. hell the would i7 line up is over priced.. but thats what happens when they have no competition at that level.. but for me it doesnt matter because while intel's prices never change AMD's continue to keep going lower which benefits me more..

I wonder tho, what kind of numbers these could hit on BigAdv tho...

Lets just say since there is 50% more cores (real and HT) that we could see at least a 40% decrease in frame time
If thats true, lets say 32min TPF = 26.5k PPD (it does) (i7 @4.0ghz on 'Nix)
even if these bad boys could only hit 25min TPF thats over 40k! (around 25% faster)
And I'm sure if it scales well we could see below 25min TPF
and I know it wont happen but a 16min TPF is 75k lol (just had to put that there because its fun to dream)

At those numbers, I could sell my dual 295's (getting 31k PPD overclocked) and make 600-700$ and buy one of these and make 33% more points at a fraction of the power draw

Sustainability wise thats a much wiser option, one of these could replace a GPU folding rig and match the points at a much lower draw

Sustainability wise thats a much wiser option, one of these could replace a GPU folding rig and match the points at a much lower draw
Exactly, my current i7 920 rig does 28K PpD. My 3xGPU rig does 32K PpD but uses probably twice the electricity the i7 does for only 4K more PpD.

What do you have to use for an OS/VM to get 12 threads working?
Native install of Linux. The only VMs that support 12 cores at this time is VMware vSphere Advanced and VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus.

Hmm.... sell my 295's and one GX2, grab a 6core and a Fermi....

Looks like I need to start learning Linux! :(:(

It's really not that difficult.

My sig rig will be due for a refresh mid year this year. I am unlikely to change out video (3xGTX285 is still very damn good) so I am looking to upgrade CPU/MoBo. Preferrably just CPU.

Either the price will drop, or it will go EOL.
the 960 is over priced as it is now.. hell the would i7 line up is over priced.. but thats what happens when they have no competition at that level.. but for me it doesnt matter because while intel's prices never change AMD's continue to keep going lower which benefits me more..
I think the i7 lineup is priced fairly for the amount of performance you get, obviously save for the Extreme Edition CPUs which are boutique products. Intel has a pretty comprehensive lineup top to bottom right now, and there are plenty of cheaper lower-end CPUs for people like yourself who don't want to pay a ton of money for a PC.

It's a little tiring seeing every second post in this thread being you complaining about the price. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but some people are trying to have a conversation here and your comments aren't helping.

Back on topic, anyone else got an estimate for ppd? Tobit have you seen any of the beta people with this chip? I k ow ES are on the market already. I'm not asking for info on unreleased stuff, but if so what were they getting on things that are already out?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hmm.... sell my 295's and one GX2, grab a 6core and a Fermi....

We are thinking along the same lines.

Was planning to dump 3 - K9A2 Platinum boards, two not in use now, and 4 - 9800GX2's.
I figure I would buy 1 six core that I could use to do all my testing on.
Being a Linux noob, I figure I could have linux down before the 8 cores come out. Too bad the 8 cores will not be a socket 1366.

Being a Linux noob, I figure I could have linux down before the 8 cores come out. Too bad the 8 cores will not be a socket 1366.
By the time 8-core Sandy Bridge CPUs are out, you'll probably be able to fold -bigadv units under Windows.

By the time 8-core Sandy Bridge CPUs are out, you'll probably be able to fold -bigadv units under Windows.

True, but if your planning to run a many boxens as I am, then the extra cost is not justified.
For the cost of Windows, I could build another system or two.

Back on topic, anyone else got an estimate for ppd? Tobit have you seen any of the beta people with this chip? I k ow ES are on the market already. I'm not asking for info on unreleased stuff, but if so what were they getting on things that are already out?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
'

if you can get the VM's to scale across all 12 cores.. the big adv wu PPD would be nuts.. which might cause F@H to turn down the bonus points.. :p but i think its going to come down to the final clock speeds and if they can even overclock at all unless they can find a way to get the VM clients(big adv WU's) to scale across all 12 threads..

'

if you can get the VM's to scale across all 12 cores.. the big adv wu PPD would be nuts.. which might cause F@H to turn down the bonus points.. :p
There are already plenty of people running -bigadv units on systems with as many as 32 cores. They're not going to decrease the amount of bonus points because of a 6-core CPU.

if you can get the VM's to scale across all 12 cores.. the big adv wu PPD would be nuts.. which might cause F@H to turn down the bonus points.
A guy by the name of slash_2cpu is running a box with 8 Opteron 8356's (32 cores total) in it for a total PpD of 84,092. :cool:

Back