i7-970 vs 980X

reimann3

Limp Gawd
I have a choice between the two. If I go for the 980X I'll have to shell out another $300. I encode movies and that's why I'm looking at a hexcore and not one of the 2600K. Those two extra cores plus hyperthreading are going to be put to good use.

Out of those two may as well go for the 970 IMO. Afaict having a locked multiplier doesn't really make a whole lot of difference on those chips.

If you can I would advise waiting for LGA2011.

I'm getting partially built rig from a local shop. Apparently they've a customer give a deposit and never come to pay the rest. Sandy Bridge extreme is not a possibilty in my case.

So overclocking doesn't make much of a difference with the six core?

So overclocking doesn't make much of a difference with the six core?
Sure it does but you don't need an unlocked multiplier to overclock those chips. They overclock just fine by increasing the base clock.

I was looking at things again. I'm using this more for encoding movies than for gaming. I'll likely load it with server 2k8 so I won't have to have a graphics card initially.

I'll likely load it with server 2k8 so I won't have to have a graphics card initially.
In an i7-9xx/x58 system there is no graphics built into either the chipset or the processor. Normal PC motherboards won't boot without graphics and even if they would you would have no way of setting the thing up.

Afaict the only way to build a x58 system without a graphics card is to use a server board that has a (shitty) graphics controller in the management chipset.

Last edited:
Back