• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 970 pricing (wtf)

jstanthr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Messages
236
I don't understand the deal, the 980x extreme is 999 and they put the 970 at 899? That seems crazy to me, if i was gonna do it, i would just put in the extra benji and get the EE. what was the logic behind that price point? am i the only one that is stumped? i thought that it would at least be more enticing to buy that the $1k EE. maybe it's just me though
 
Yeah I don't understand it either. If you can afford the 970 you can afford the 980.
 
Yeah, I was expecting the 970 to be half the price, but I guess that happens when there is no competition and therefore Intel is going to charge their products as high as they want, which is disappointing. I really wanted an affordable 6 core Intel CPU but I'll think I'll pass, though the high price tag is just unjustifiable.
 
They probably are going to do those random sales, where the price drops $300 for one day just to keep people's interest before an actual price drop.
 
ya no competition is a bad thing for us just look at the 5850 which is still selling for more than its MSRP
I am holding on to my e8400 until intel 6 core comps become affordable, my dual dosnt leave me wanting for performance in the games i play just yet, BFBC2, Lotro and soon to be mafia 2, yes some of those games recomend a quad but really im getting by on my dual @ 3.71 and from the looks of things is going to have to last me 9 more months
 
Intel going back to their old pricing schemes. Bastards. If AMD would step it up a little bit and become more competitive again then Intel would have to drop prices.
 
The pricing does seem a little ridiculous, although I am hoping the more mainstream status mean we will hopefully get reasonably priced Intel hexacores. I really want to replace my aging Q6600 now.
 
The pricing does seem a little ridiculous, although I am hoping the more mainstream status mean we will hopefully get reasonably priced Intel hexacores. I really want to replace my aging Q6600 now.

Yeah, I really don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. Unless AMD comes out with affordable 12-core CPU's.. because they just can't compete core-per-core to make Intel head deflate.
 
The pricing does seem a little ridiculous, although I am hoping the more mainstream status mean we will hopefully get reasonably priced Intel hexacores. I really want to replace my aging Q6600 now.


its typical intel.. i mean hell go look at the prices of their already ancient C2D/C2Q processors.. they are still insanely prices.. intel gets away with the pricing because the 920 is discontinued so retailers can basically charge what ever they want now.. even if AMD was to come out with some amazing processor that completely kicked intels ass i dont see intel dropping their prices because of it.. the only way to get prices to drop is to stop buying their hardware and we all know thats not going to happen anytime soon..

if you have a microcenter anywhere near you though you can usually find 920's on sale for around 200 dollars unlike neweggs insane 290+ dollar price tag for the 920..
 
IMO, intel wants to keep the 6 core processors premium at the moment

If their 6 core cpus become mainstream, its going to affect the sales of their upcoming 4 cores, Sandy Bridge or something
 
though the high price tag is just unjustifiable.

i dont see any of you nay-sayers spending tens of billions of $ on 32nm silicon etching processes and lithography machines and clean rooms or research and design engineering costs.....

if you think you can do it better put up or shut up. i hate when people arbitrarily assign a value to a product with absolutely no knowledge of how much it costs to actually put that product in your hands.
 
its typical intel.. i mean hell go look at the prices of their already ancient C2D/C2Q processors.. they are still insanely prices.. intel gets away with the pricing because the 920 is discontinued so retailers can basically charge what ever they want now.. even if AMD was to come out with some amazing processor that completely kicked intels ass i dont see intel dropping their prices because of it.. the only way to get prices to drop is to stop buying their hardware and we all know thats not going to happen anytime soon..

if you have a microcenter anywhere near you though you can usually find 920's on sale for around 200 dollars unlike neweggs insane 290+ dollar price tag for the 920..

Micro Center has been selling the i7 930's for $199 since January. After Intel discontinued the 920's, they were selling for as cheap as $179 at MC.
 
I agree i was expecting to see the 970 ~500. I would have jumped all over it.

But now I suspect we wont see an affordable hex core till sandy bridge. Intel's going to try to muscle us into new mobos. If they give use cheap hex now we prolly won't have much reason to upgrade.
 
I think Intel needed to do this and in the current CPU landscape COULD do this. They simply haven't offered enough differentiation between their mainstream parts and their EE parts. When I said needed to do this they needed to give customers a REASON to buy EE CPUs and until the 980x came out it had been a LONG time since that's been the case.

Most people any that they don't see the benefit of hexacore anyway so using hexacore as a CLEAR line of differentiation between EEs and mainstream CPUs is reasonable if Intel wants to sell $1k CPUs.
 
I think they're doing this because they can, with respect to current AMD competition.
 
Back
Top