• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 940 vs 930 vs 920?

rich121

n00b
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
49
I'm planning on building a system for editing HD 1080p60 AVCHD video, (Panasonic TM700 camcorder) and also play games, internet, music etc. etc.

Which would be the best value processor, that would hold up the best to future needs?


Rick
 
unless you can find a great deal on an i7 940 (which has been discontinued) or a great deal on an i7 920 (which is going to be discontinued), then you're probably stuck with an i7 930. Though I'd suggest purchasing an i7 920 from the sales forum here, seems a lot of people are getting rid of theirs for a decent price.

Assuming you're overclocking slightly, they'll all perform roughly the same. i7s overclock pretty easily as long as your chip isn't a dud... you should be able to do 3.3ghz or 3.8ghz relatively easily.

The i7s honestly should last you for a couple of or few years I think. Hyperthreading is really useful :)

I'm sure someone else in the forum will respond and give a more thorough explanation but I'd say if you can get a nice deal on an i7 920 in the forums or craigslist, go for that as I believe they'll all perform roughly the same overclocked... even at stock, they aren't that much different.
 
Don't get an i7 940. Unless you can find one for $200-ish, it's not worth it. The i7 930 is a much better idea. If you can get a 920 for real cheap (there are still $200 new 920s somewhere) or second-hand, go with that. D0 stepping is preferable to C0. So:

930 > 920 D0 > 920 C0 > 940
 
I have a 940 I picked up last year, at stock speeds is the new 930 faster even though it's clocked lower. Do the new stepping add anything but over clocking headroom?
 
Says who? 930 should be slower at stock.

The only possible way for a stock 930 to outperform a stock 940 is if the latter is a dud (or more specifically, the 940 goes into throttling mode at relatively low temperatures).
 
dont waste money on 940.. its really not worth it..

I say get a 920 since its much cheaper out of all and OC pretty well..

930 is pretty much 920 with one more multiplier I remember..
but not overclocking that good as certain batch of 920 D0...
 
All 940s are C0. When the D0 stepping came out, the 940 was replaced by the 950.
No good reason to go with the 940 then, even with the higher multi the 940 most likely wont clock as high as the 930 if you plan on overclocking.
 
Back
Top