I7 940 OC help

JKownz

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying to keep my I7 940 at 4.0 but i cant even run prim95 for 1 sec before it blue screens on me. i tried 20x200 and i always keep my memory at 1600. I tried reducing and increasing Cpu voltages slightly still does the same thing. I also kept my stock timings at 8-8-8-24 on the ram. Any thoughts on what to try or do will be appreciated :cool:

Cpu= 1.35V
Cpu Pll= 1.96V
Dram = 1.66V ( shows in Asus p6t deluxe is at 1.65V)
Qpi/Dram=1.35V

Bclk Freq=200
Dram Freq=1,600
multiplier= 20

System setup.
Vigor Monsoon III Cpu Heatsink.
1,000W corsair psu
Intel I7 940
2x3gb Corsair Dominator ram ( 1600 )
Ati 4870x2

Currently runing at 19x20=3.800Ghz at 1.33V on Cpu. Stable so far on prime95, getting temps in the 90's tho. idle drops instanly to the high 40's to low 50's.

I'm assuming you have HT enabled because you are unstable at 1.35 vCore. Try lowering CPU PLL back to default. What was your reason to raise it? I don't think there's any conclusive evidence it's helpful on the i7 platform yet (at 20x200). Also increase your vCore to at least 1.375v in the BIOS and try again.

thanks seems i can run prime95 now. only problem now is it goes above 100C after a lil bit and my system automatically slows itself down. dono what to do there. i know i installed my heatsink correctly and is on properly.

At those temps its just not worth the speed. More HS, less voltage, or less clock.

Core i7 BSODs when there's a memory controller issue. It's just like my opty 165. People always thought it was the memory. I had DDR550 on my AMD, and all four sticks were able to run at 550mhz effective, but when all four were in, I'd BSOD > 415mhz.

Lower your memory multiplier and loosen up the timings. You'll probably see temps drop. I saw mine drop 10-20c when I lowered my memory multiplier, and I raised the voltage to 1.416v and the freq from 3.9Ghz to 4.04ghz.

Temps are upper 50s to lower 70s under load @ 4.04ghz I have a pretty good feeling no one is going to believe this, so here:

Noctua 12up or whatever it's called for heatsink (yes, air cooling)
pwnage.png

i take off CPU TM function and i need to bump my Voltage to 1.38 to keep it stable at 20x200 at 4.0. when i run prime95 tho it sky rockets to near 100C in a matter of 5 min. the sec i stop it, it goes down to 52-58C instantly. when i resume the load, back to 80-88C. think thats a heatsink seating issue? or is that something that is a common thing to expect? due to high voltage and Mhz? This is what happens to me after 3 min of load testing.

my.php

As you can see under max i hit 100C real fast. and when i idle it goes to the 40-50's max.

Temps are upper 50s to lower 70s under load @ 4.04ghz I have a pretty good feeling no one is going to believe this ...

Wow thats just... well I don't know what to say lol!

Anyway I know Core Damage will squeeze a few more degress than Prime95 and I'd be really interested to see what your temps are. At 4000mhz and 1.475 vcore, stock Intel Heatsink & Fan I'll hit 100°C in just a few seconds and the system will reboot after about 2 minutes. I'm still trying to decide which $60 dollar friggen heatsink I should get!!

Temps are upper 50s to lower 70s under load @ 4.04ghz I have a pretty good feeling no one is going to believe this, so here:

Noctua 12up or whatever it's called for heatsink (yes, air cooling)

Yep, I don't believe you. Get RealTemp version 2.90, it reads higher than 2.70.

Good call; I downloaded 2.70 and it consistantly reads 8 to 10 degrees cooler. I'm going to have to assume the previous version was not calibrated for the i7.

With Real Temp 2.90 you'll be in the 80's while running Prime95 and close to 90 running Core Damage.

Have you checked to make sure the CPU speed isn't being throttled??

73° to 75° thats a bit more reasonable; but still damn impressive temperatures for any i7 at 4.0ghz.

It will go into the 80s for LinX (or similar torture test) if you use all the memory you can get away with.

I seem to be getting similar temps to you with my TRUE-120 2100rpm push-pull but I have my board mounted to the removable tray from my case laying flat on a table with ceiling fan blowing hard and cold ambients from an open window.

It will go into the 80s for LinX (or similar torture test) if you use all the memory you can get away with.

Isn't that more evidence for the claim I'm making that most of the heat comes from the memory controller and not the CPU cores?

Isn't that more evidence for the claim I'm making that most of the heat comes from the memory controller and not the CPU cores?

I haven't seen any data to indicate that yet. I am diligently raising VTT one step at a time until it's stable with 6 gig triple channel in Prime blend. I needed 1.275v VTT for 4 gigs dual channel and with all the same settings except the added third memory stick I am now up to 1.395v VTT and still testing until Prime blend is long term stable. My max temps aren't going up as a result of the increased VTT. LinX x 20 with max memory usage @ 6 gigs passed with 1.375v VTT. I'm learning that Prime blend is a must to find the real VTT value you need.

I just think the memory system gets really pissed off at 200 BCLK and higher when you ask it to do tight timings with a stress test that actually loads the bus all the way. We just need excellent motherboard cooling and high VTT. I think I read a reply from G.Skill support to a customer saying that raising VTT in and of itself is ok if you have sufficient cooling. Of course you also need to maintain the 0.5v max delta between VTT and vDIMM.

Back