• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 930 Stock Cooling

Main Target

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
1,690
What kind of temps should I be seeing out of this? I applied my own AS5 to the stock cooler. It seems to be running at a x22 multiplier even though its set to 21 in the bios. Everything is stock that came from the mobo so far.

Side cover off in a P180.
Temps from RealTemp
Idle - 51 49 51 48
Load (Prime 95) - 87 87 85 84

Are these within reason for a stock cooler? I just want to be sure that I wont damage the CPU. I will be getting a aftermarket cooler when things begin the slow down for me.
 
I'm assuming your running stock and not OC'ing. What is your ambient case temperature?

87c at load is a bit high. I was running my stock cooler w/ HT off in a small LianLi PCA05B case (40c ambient) and was able to temps to 83c while OC'ing to 3.5GHz. Check out the i7 930 OC'ing thread.

First thing I'd do is try reseating your cooler. Do the two opposing side push pins first while trying to keep the cooler flat (a third hand to hold it down helps). Then do the other sides. Avoid putting too much TIM and see here for tips on how to apply TIM for a i7.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Then if your using all auto voltages on your motherboard you can really reduce temps by setting the main voltages to stock vs. auto. My MSI X58 Pro-E was overvolting so temps were higher. Here are the main ones: Vcore 1.2V, Vdimm 1.5V, Vqpi 1.1V, Vpll = 1.8V.

Here is my progression:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035451985&postcount=3

The 22x multiplier is normal. It's called Turbo Boost. Google it. ;)
 
Yeah i figured it was turbo boost for the multiplier. I will reseat it in the morning. Thanks for the detailed reply!
 
Setting everything to "Normal" instead of auto isnt letting me boot into windows either...The computer just restarts right when would normally hit the loading windows screen. When it reboots it hits a screen telling me to run some startup repair, which I have run and now I am booting into windows...

I dont understand why setting to stock/normal volts would cause windows not to boot.
 
Setting everything to "Normal" instead of auto isnt letting me boot into windows either...The computer just restarts right when would normally hit the loading windows screen. When it reboots it hits a screen telling me to run some startup repair, which I have run and now I am booting into windows...

I dont understand why setting to stock/normal volts would cause windows not to boot.

Setting normal doesn't mean your using stock voltages. You have to manually set them to the values I posted earlier. Use Linx it generates higher temps. If your not OC'ing the cpu yet then those voltages will let you boot.
 
Yeah, I initially set them to stock voltages that you listed, and I could not boot into windows.

I had to roll back the OS to get in. Any idea why?

edit

Okay so I forced voltages in the bios to the ones you listed, and the problem came back instantly, right when the computer usually hits the windows loading screen, the computer restarts. I hope i am not damaging something.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top