• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-930 now or later?

Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
780
I have a Microcenter just around the corner and am planning on building a new machine around mid September. Should I jump on the $200 930 now or has it been at that price point for a while?

I'm mostly interested in gaming (FFXIV) and video encoding.
 
I have a Microcenter just around the corner and am planning on building a new machine around mid September. Should I jump on the $200 930 now or has it been at that price point for a while?

I'm mostly interested in gaming (FFXIV) and video encoding.

i7 930 is a great bang for the buck cpu. The multithreading helps intel quadcores fly through stuff like video encodes. The only thing that would be better would be hexacore but those are currently still priced very high compared to what you could do with an i7 930 overclocked for just $200 plus say an H70 cooler for $100.
 
Agreed. Im an AMD fanboy but even I cant deny that ANY i7 selling for $200 is too good to pass up. Those i7's just rule.
 
I have a Microcenter just around the corner and am planning on building a new machine around mid September. Should I jump on the $200 930 now or has it been at that price point for a while?

I'm mostly interested in gaming (FFXIV) and video encoding.

Wait. The 950 is suppose to get a price drop ($300) and Microcenter often has that in store only deal.
 
MC has had that price for a LONG time now it's not going anywhere. Also be picky and try to get the "golden batch" 3951A687.
 
I'd wait till September and buy then. I don't think the price will go up. No sense in buying something that you will not use up right away.
 
your better off with the 920 then the 930.. at least with the 920 you are guaranteed a 3.8ghz overclock at the minimum.. 930's are hit and miss between 3.4-4.2ghz.. but i guess if MC's selling the 930 at 200 dollars they must of stopped selling the 920 since that was usually on sale for 200..
 
Ya I can't seem to find any 920 deals on MC's site, but when I go shopping I might as well take a peak.
 
your better off with the 920 then the 930.. at least with the 920 you are guaranteed a 3.8ghz overclock at the minimum.. 930's are hit and miss between 3.4-4.2ghz..

Guaranteed ? since when is any overclock guaranteed ? :rolleyes:

Grab a 930, overclock the hell out of it and call it a day.
 
I overclock my i7 950 to 3375 mhz without any increase in voltage.

Its like using a i7 985x but I only got 8 threads instead of 12 threads.

Can I call this a day?
 
Buy a used 920 DO from someone you trust...less money and probability of better overclocking.
 
What the highest 920 can overclock to without increase voltage?

Is that as much 3375 mhz I can o'clock to on my 950 w/o increase voltage?
 
I would buy the i7 now because Intel will only release unclockable Sandy Bridge CPUs first. Intel will probably release the unlocked Sandy Bridge CPUs after that but it could cost a lot more.
 
Back
Top