i7 920 x58 no longer passes prime at stock

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Okay so here is the deal. I have a x58 chipset Asus P6T and i7 920 that has served me well for years.

I recently added two GTX980s. My PSU is a Corsair HX750. 12 gigs of Corsair Dominator GTX DDR3 memory.

I am running Windows 10 preview BUT, these issues occur in Windows 7 so this is a hardware problem.

This system (see signature) with SLI enabled will not survive Prime 95 torture test for 30 minutes. One thread crapped out. Nothing is overclocked.

Further, the system crashes in BF4 with SLI enabled after about 20-30 minutes. Basically just when the action gets good it will either lock up or it will reboot itself.

So I have a situation where the system is unstable both when CPU stress tested and GPU stress tested.

Memtest is okay after 30 minutes.

I used have a GTX590 which was SLI on a stick. This is my first dual slot attempt at SLI, but the GTX590 I think had PSU requirements which were similar or even exceeded two GTX980s. So I do not think PSU is overloaded.

Should I RMA the cards? I am thinking about scrapping the whole system and going with Haswell E. What do you guys think is the culprit?

Might as well add some voltage in a few places in the bios .....no reason not to at this point ....give it 1.35 vcore 1.35 qpi and up to 1.9 pll.....disable spread spectrums , raise DDR voltage up to 1.65........
I know its a long shot but I would try it anyway
Also might disable any power savings and or turbo and just try a certain blck instead.....can't imagine a 920 that can't do 3.2ghz under any circumstances .....less it was overheating

Does it happen when only using one card? Sli/Xfire causes more strain on the northbridge, upping your VTT voltage may fix the problem. Watch your NB temps, they can get very hot in sli setups.

I have a similar setup with 2x680s.

I replaced my corsair tx750 with EVGA SuperNova 1000g2 (but that did not solve the problem.) But I wanted a new PSU anyway ;).

The solution for me was to set BIOS to default settings and reboot. POWER DOWN and unplug the PSU. Remove all the memory sticks and remove both video cards. Re-seated 3 sticks of ram instead of all 6 slots being occupied. So basically 6 gigs Stable since 12 gigs became unstable. Re seated the video cards, dont forget the sli bridge.

Boot back into bios (in my case) I overclock my processor to 4.0ghz. (CPU ratio 20 BLCK200) I set my Ram to XMP mode 1603 hz. Reboot problem solved.

I have had this system since 2009, This board just dosent play nice when all 6 slots of ram are occupied.

Good Luck

asus p6t deluxe (original version)
i7 920 @ 4.0
2 x 680s
6 gigs of DDR3 tripple channel Corsair Dominator 1600mhz (2x3)

I'd start by running multiple passes of memtest to test all the RAM sticks thoroughly.

As said above, monitor the northbridge temps. On one of my rigs the NB chip sits right under my 2nd card and when the 2nd would run full speed it would throw hot air at the NB until it crashed. So I put a small fan on the heatpipe/sink there and that fixed it. The Asus is similar, but it seems a little better than my MSI MB.

I suspect this shows the temp yakk is talking about
Capture_zps8nuuu4ua.png
[/URL][/IMG]
oh and btw i have somehow fixed bad memory tests by doing a long cmos reset as if asus bios can get glitched some times....at least on mine it has once or twice...been fine ever since:)

Ditch the 920 and get you a x5670 off of eBay and rock on.
They work beautifully with a P6T.

Yeah, these hex core processors are awesome, easily one of the best, and cheapest, upgrades ever. I'd troubleshoot what the issue is exactly before getting one though.

Okay so here is the deal. I have a x58 chipset Asus P6T and i7 920 that has served me well for years.

I recently added two GTX980s. My PSU is a Corsair HX750. 12 gigs of Corsair Dominator GTX DDR3 memory.

I am running Windows 10 preview BUT, these issues occur in Windows 7 so this is a hardware problem.

This system (see signature) with SLI enabled will not survive Prime 95 torture test for 30 minutes. One thread crapped out. Nothing is overclocked.

Further, the system crashes in BF4 with SLI enabled after about 20-30 minutes. Basically just when the action gets good it will either lock up or it will reboot itself.

So I have a situation where the system is unstable both when CPU stress tested and GPU stress tested.

Memtest is okay after 30 minutes.

I used have a GTX590 which was SLI on a stick. This is my first dual slot attempt at SLI, but the GTX590 I think had PSU requirements which were similar or even exceeded two GTX980s. So I do not think PSU is overloaded.

Should I RMA the cards? I am thinking about scrapping the whole system and going with Haswell E. What do you guys think is the culprit?

What are your voltages set at, I remember needing to raise the IOH voltage to stabilize dual 5870's. I set mine to 1.25v

I scrapped the whole system and went with a new Haswell-E build. 5930k - 6 core.

Seems like a smart choice to me...that cpu can likely do a video encode in half the time as mine....a solid upgrade in all respects;)

Ditch the 920 and get you a x5670 off of eBay and rock on.
They work beautifully with a P6T.

This. This. This. Best upgrade ever for >$100.

I have the same Mobo as you, a P6T (non-deluxe, etc).
I just upgraded to a x5670 yesterday from an i7-920. Reset bios to default, then upgrade your bios version to 1408, and then throw the Xeon in.
Mine clocks to 4.2GHz at 1.246V. It takes 1.35V to go to 4.4GHz. Temps are much lower than my i7-920.

All X58 owners should consider this upgrade before considering X99 or similar.

EDIT: Just noticed above you went to i7 5930k. If you have the money and want to be on the bleeding edge, I guess why not? Enjoy them IPCs :)

Back