• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 vcore fluctuations

Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
18
I was running with the voltage in the bios set to auto, but my cpu was running hot at load, >70C. I'm using a Zalman 9900. The auto voltage in the bios was 1.29v!! So I decreased the voltage to 1.15 and started occt to test for stability, but as it was running I noticed the vcore was jumping up and down constantly. I set the voltage to back to auto to have a comparison, and the vcore didn't fluctuate aside from the change from idle voltage to load voltage. My PSU is a PC Power and Cooling 750watt, about two and a half years old. LLC is disabled, and I reverted back to 1.15 under the assumption this is all normal.

I am just curious if these fluctuations are normal or will they damage the cpu? The variation seems to be one hundredth of a volt, flickering between 1.1 and 1.09. CPU-Z and everest show the same voltage variation.

2010-07-19-16h44-VCore.png
 
It's normal to see small fluctuations like that coming from software. Nothing to worry about.
 
I'm quite certain the intel voltage reported to software is limited to a granularity of 16mA. If the voltage reported sits on the edge you will see it fluctuate between 2 values.
 
I think you mean limited to a resolution of 16mV. Though I'm pretty certain that is not true.
 
Back
Top